Anyone using wide angle lens adaptors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 4th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #1
Major Player

Anyone using wide angle lens adaptors?

Just wondering how good the WCV-82SC is. Is it a full zoom-through WA adaptor? Any distortion? Can you fit a lens hood over it? I"m looking for a WA adaptor to keep on my second HD100 permanantly, so I need something that allows the full zoom range with distortion.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds
Just wondering how good the WCV-82SC is. Is it a full zoom-through WA adaptor? Any distortion? Can you fit a lens hood over it? I"m looking for a WA adaptor to keep on my second HD100 permanantly, so I need something that allows the full zoom range with distortion.
A wideangle "adapter" is NOT zoom through (or it may be partially zoom through).

A wideangle "converter" is 100% zoom through.

In this thread I link to below, I outlined the adapters from Century with links:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ght=wide+angle

These are the ones recommended by Century reps at Cinegear in L.A. They are the standard adapters Century has sold for different cameras (using different adapter rings to go from the adapter to the camera) for several years. They are apparently top sellers.

Both Century and JVC sell a .8x converter. These are zoom through. The only difference between them -- according to the Century reps -- is that the Century converter has better optics at the very outside corners/edges. He said the difference is probably not noticeable by most people.

When I called Century last week the person on the phone also mentioned a screw-in adapter. I think it was .6x (not sure) and if it is the one I have read about, it may not be as acceptable as the other choices -- though don't have details.

CAVISION also has an adapter that I believe is partially zoom through. But I don't have any information on this one, the quality of it, etc.

If you are going to leave it on the camera -- the .8x converter might be the best. However, if you are going to need to go more wide-angle, the Century .5x / .7x combo adapter might be more useful -- especially for a second camera -- depending on what kind of shots you are looking for. But with this adapter set there is no zoom.

I have yet to try these adapters myself, since my HD110 camera is in route. However, I have used the .65x converter from Century for years, and it has proven to be excellent.

A minor consideration might be that the converters are generally a bit heavier than adapters... but with the HD100 I doubt this would be important.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
A wideangle "adapter" is NOT zoom through (or it may be partially zoom through).

A wideangle "converter" is 100% zoom through.
Very interesting -- I did not know that! What is the advantage of using an adaptor then? It would seem a converter is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
Both Century and JVC sell a .8x converter. These are zoom through. The only difference between them -- according to the Century reps -- is that the Century converter has better optics at the very outside corners/edges. He said the difference is probably not noticeable by most people.
I looked at Century's web site (well, Schneider's website now) and it is quite useless. Couldn't find anything of help there. Can you get lens hood for these units?
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Edmunds
Very interesting -- I did not know that! What is the advantage of using an adaptor then? It would seem a converter is the way to go.

I looked at Century's web site (well, Schneider's website now) and it is quite useless. Couldn't find anything of help there. Can you get lens hood for these units?
Since the quality converter only goes to .8x, one adavantage of the adapters is the wider angle possible and still get a quality image. Also, there is less glass in an adapter to shoot through. However, I am not qualified to talk about the technical issues.

The Century webiste is confusing. However, they are available by phone and will give you precise info -- at least from my experience.

Here's a link to the phone numbers. I have always called West Coast office, since they are down the street from me.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ght=wide+angle

If you talk to them, and want the details verified (part numbers, is it for sure what you want, etc.) let me know and I will go in and talk to them face to face. I am going to buy something for my new camera, so I am happy to look into it more.
Old August 5th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #5
New Boot

I got the WCV-82SC WA adaptor and KA-551U Tripod adapter with the offer in Canada.The adaptor has proved to be quite useful in close quarters, and it is full zoom through. It screws on the end of the standard lens, but it is a fraction larger in diameter then the end of the standard lens, so once on you can't take the lens hood off without taking off the adaptor. As for distortion, for the price, well I'm happy with the results.

Here is a slow motion clip using the WCV-82SC Wide Angle adaptor, you be the judge. The clip is a large windows file, so you will need a fast computer to view it on. http://www.portstanleynews.com/TV/BMShow.wmv
Doug Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Harvey
I got the WCV-82SC WA adaptor and KA-551U Tripod adapter with the offer in Canada.The adaptor has proved to be quite useful in close quarters, and it is full zoom through.
Sorry to be seeminly overly specific, but the JVC WCV-82SC is a converter, not an adapter. Therefore, yes, it is 100% zoom through.

Converter = 100% Through
Adapter = None or Partial Zoom Through
Old August 6th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #7
Inner Circle

what does it mean zoom through?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #8
New Boot

The JVC WCV-82SC is a zoom through converter which means that the converter does not impede the zoom capabilities of the lens. The lens will operate normally as if the converter was not attached.
Doug Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Beware of using any adapter that isn't aspherical, as spherical elements without fail increase the zoom's barrel distortion. That's ok if you only shoot landscapes in the great outdoors, but you'll not be wanting to track room to room and have the door frame bow outwards as you pass through it.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Harvey
The JVC WCV-82SC is a zoom through converter which means that the converter does not impede the zoom capabilities of the lens. The lens will operate normally as if the converter was not attached.
In contrast, the Century Optics .7x and .5x adapters go on the lens when it is fully zoomed out and the zoom cannot be used. The zoom cannot be used. To change the image the camera must be moved.

However, because of the increase of depth of field and the wider view causing camera movement to be lessened, the adapters work very well in close quarter handheld shooting. Also, adapters (without zoom through capabilities) are necessary for the wider x. The good quality converters are .8x, while the good quality adapters are .7x and .5x (with the Century kit the .7x is used together with the .5x to get the .5x setting).

I will also mention that the Century adapters are used on many cameras and need an adapter ring that goes between the wideangle adapter and the particular camera being used.
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I've not come across a camcorder fitted with a wide-angle adapter that cannot be zoomed, Jack. I've owned and used many camcorders and have 7 different w/angle adapters in my kit, and all have allowed some sort of zooming.

My most powerful 0.5x converts my Z1's 12x zoom to a 6.2x zoom - still very useful in the field.

Not sure what you mean when you say, "with the Century kit the .7x is used together with the .5x to get the .5x setting).'' You can indeed use two single elements together, but the negative power will be greater than the most powerful.

And surely you can just order your Century lens with the attachment thread that matches your zoom's filter thread? What's this about step rings being needed between the two?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
I've not come across a camcorder fitted with a wide-angle adapter that cannot be zoomed, Jack. I've owned and used many camcorders and have 7 different w/angle adapters in my kit, and all have allowed some sort of zooming.

My most powerful 0.5x converts my Z1's 12x zoom to a 6.2x zoom - still very useful in the field.

Not sure what you mean when you say, "with the Century kit the .7x is used together with the .5x to get the .5x setting).'' You can indeed use two single elements together, but the negative power will be greater than the most powerful.

And surely you can just order your Century lens with the attachment thread that matches your zoom's filter thread? What's this about step rings being needed between the two?

tom.
These are two WA adapters:
.7X Wide Angle Adapter sold alone ($449.95):
Part Number: WA-7X93
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

.7X .5X Wide Angle Adapter Set ($949.95)
Part Number WA-7X5X

Here is the adapter to put these on the HD100:

These are the "industry standard" adapters. They are meant to be put on the the camera lens at it's widest setting. Some camera lenses may allow partial zooming. However, they are not meant for zooming. On the other hand, a _converter_ converts a zoom lens to a wider zoom lens. The .8x from both JVC and Century for the HD100 is a converter, not an adapter.

An adapter allows one type of thing to be used in a limited way as if it were another thing. A converter completely transforms one kind of thing into another kind of thing... in this case into a zoom lens of a different range.
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
These are two WA adapters:
.7X Wide Angle Adapter sold alone ($449.95):
Part Number: WA-7X93

.7X .5X Wide Angle Adapter Set ($949.95)
Part Number WA-7X5X

Here is the adapter to put these on the HD100:

These are the "industry standard" adapters. They are meant to be put on the the camera lens at it's widest setting. Some camera lenses may allow partial zooming. However, they are not meant for zooming. On the other hand, a _converter_ converts a zoom lens to a wider zoom lens. The .8x from both JVC and Century for the HD100 is a converter, not an adapter.

An adapter allows one type of thing to be used in a limited way as if it were another thing. A converter completely transforms one kind of thing into another kind of thing... in this case into a zoom lens of a different range.
As said in the posts above, the JVC .82x and the Century .8x converters are good to put on the lens and leave on, giving you a little wider lens. However, if you need to go wider, I believe the best solution is the Century .5x/.7x adapter. There are various other solutions as discussed in the threads linked above, but for top quality images, I believe the choices are the JVC or the Century options.
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Wide-angle adapter - century optics

I want to get one of the Century Optics adapters (.7x). I have a few question to those who have the adapter and are using it on the HD100 stock lens. On the B&H site it says it needs a step-up ring that "slips over a 85mm diameter lens and allows connection to the WA-7X93" - the stock lens is an 82 mm diameter lens, no?
1.) So how does this work with the 85 mm "slip on."
2.) From the photo I can't tell but "slip -on" means not a threaded step-up ring?
3.) Will I be able to still use the rubber hood that came with the stock lens when using the wide angle adapter?

Your answers would be much appreciated. Thank You.
Point Zero Pictures
http://www.pointzeropictures.com

Last edited by Miklos Philips; June 28th, 2007 at 05:29 PM.
Miklos Philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #15
Regular Crew

0WA-7X93-00 wide-angle adapter

I just bought one of these suckers from B&H, but neglected to look into a lens hood, once the adapter is screwed on to the Fuji 16x lens. The Fuji hood is no longer usable once the adapter is on. Does anyone actually own one of these things? What did you use for a lens hood? No info on B&H or Schneider Optics site on this... Sheeesh!
Point Zero Pictures
http://www.pointzeropictures.com
Miklos Philips is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems