Fujinon 1/2" lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 26th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #16
Major Player

I'm confused, does the adaptor have glass in it to restore the original field of view of the lens? 'Cause that's the only way a 20x8.6 would come wider than the HD100 stock lens. I thought the adaptor was just a metal piece that let you fit a different-sized lens in there.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen
I'm confused, does the adaptor have glass in it to restore the original field of view of the lens? 'Cause that's the only way a 20x8.6 would come wider than the HD100 stock lens. I thought the adaptor was just a metal piece that let you fit a different-sized lens in there.
It is just metal, and it is much wider then the stock lens.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin
I got it at Abel Cine Tech. 2/3-1/3 costs $699. I think.

I use my 2/3 SD Fuji lens on the HD100 and the images are awesome, much better then the stock lens and a bit wider. It is worth the purchase.
Carl;

Thanks for the info. I will check out the adapter at Abel, NY.

Jay
Jay Yellamaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Just discovered my semi retired Pana AJ D200 DVC Pro camcorder is also 1/3 chip camcorder with a Fuji lens T14X5.5BRM4, almost identical to the stock JVC HD 100 lens in all respects except size, its a couple of inches shorter. I swapped lenses and shot some footage. My initial tests show the older fuji is much sharper and a tiny bit wider. Those interested in upgrading the lens might find this interesting.
Old August 27th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Yellamaty
Just discovered my semi retired Pana AJ D200 DVC Pro camcorder is also 1/3 chip camcorder with a Fuji lens T14X5.5BRM4, almost identical to the stock JVC HD 100 lens in all respects except size, its a couple of inches shorter. I swapped lenses and shot some footage. My initial tests show the older fuji is much sharper and a tiny bit wider. Those interested in upgrading the lens might find this interesting.

Are you sure it's sharper? I ask because I know somebody who used to have a D215, which uses the very same lens and I did some tests with the T14 and the HD100 and the stock lens was much sharper. Also as the T14 is an external focus lens breathing was more of a problem than with the stock 16x. I even shot a resolution chart and the stock 16x was the clear winner. I can't re-do the tests because he has since sold the D15 with the lens but I might still have the tape somewhere. I remember this was the same lens Optex adapted for the Xl1. I can't see such a cheap lens as being good enough for HD.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 12:39 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Are you sure it's sharper? ....I can't see such a cheap lens as being good enough for HD.
Mike;

My test was short. I need to do some real world shooting with both lenses before I can form a definitive opinion. Check out the stills from both the lenses though. Camera was set to FAW and locked down. For now the T14 will stay on my HD 100. The external focus is not a problem for me. I've put in hundreds of hours on my D 200 which btw is a great camera, with this lens .I will post my future findings here. I look forward to your comments as well as those from others on this board

Jay

PS. Could not upload pics. File size too big. Will upload later.
Attached Thumbnails
Fujinon 1/2" lens-jvc-stock-pic-1.jpg   Fujinon 1/2" lens-jvc-stock-pic-2.jpg  

Fujinon 1/2" lens-t-14-pic-1.jpg   Fujinon 1/2" lens-t-14-pic-2.jpg  

Last edited by Jay Yellamaty; August 28th, 2006 at 01:48 PM. Reason: could not upload pics
Old August 29th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #22
Major Player

Is that compression from you compressing the still image for the web or from the origonal HDV compression? It is very bad.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Barwood
Is that compression from you compressing the still image for the web or from the origonal HDV compression? It is very bad.
compressed to death. original 2.8 MB. downsized to 127 kb.
Old August 29th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #24
Major Player

Jay could you post them as .png files?

they will be very small but look like the originals.

I've got an opportunity to buy one of these lenses and the boss says ok as long as its equal or better than the stock lens.
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #25
Major Player

One of the things I use the HD100 for is for capturing the image produced by our aerial telecine for consumer grade 8/16 mm film transfer.

I've noticed that the JVC lens produces an odd gold/blue fringing between light and dark contrasted areas vertically.

The 1/2" lens never had this issue.

I'm wondering if this fuji 1/3" SD lens would solve that problem inexpensively.
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silva
Jay could you post them as .png files?

they will be very small but look like the originals.

I've got an opportunity to buy one of these lenses and the boss says ok as long as its equal or better than the stock lens.
Hi Mark;

You should do some tests of your own before you buy, especially since your requirements are for telecine work. I could email the full res BMP files to you if you like. I will be using the HD 100 with the T14 SD lens for the next couple of weeks and will have a better idea if in fact it is better than the stock lens. I can't say Ive noticed the fringing you mentioned in your other post.

Jay
Old August 29th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #27
Major Player

The fringing has something to do with the optics between the film gate and the HD100 lens.

But its odd because the 1/2" lens on the sony block camera showed none of this at all.

I'd be very interested if any optics experts here on the board could tell me what this gold/blue fringing effect is called.
Old May 8th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #28
Major Player

can the 1/2 and 2/3 lenses be controlled by the JVC on auto aperture? Is the pin combo from the camera to to the servo controls on the lens the same?
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #29
Major Player

I have a chance to buy a Fujinon S19x6.5BRM. Reading these posts here I'm even more confused. Will have more then 19x zoom or less. And is the quality worth getting into this or not...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems