Camera Bags - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:37 PM   #16
Regular Crew

before you buy

try the KATA HB-207 I talked to a KATA service person and she recommended that bag for a HD100 with AB power kit
Shai Camerini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:46 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Setnes
I put off getting one mostly because I was waiting for Petrol's backpack version.

So for there are a total of 6 bags from 3 dffierent vendors to choose from, there are more, but these seem to be the best of what I gathered.

Petrol PCBP-2
Petrol PCUB-HD
Porta Brace CTC-2
Porta Brace HK-P3
Kata BP-502
Kata CCC-10

Any input on any of these?
Depending on the type of filming you intend to do, I would consider adding the Porta Brace CC-325-P Quick-Draw Camera Case to the list. It offers a substantial degree of sturdiness over standard soft cases.

I have a previous version of it for my HD-100. While the bag adds to the carry weight cosiderably (it is reinforced with plastic and metal to protect the camera especially the viewfinder), I feel the protection offered is well worth the price. The soft cases wil not prevent a viewfinder catastrophe and I've seen them with rental HD-100s.

The case I have has enough room to store at least 10 tapes, the IDX battery, the battery charger, the AC adapter, microphones, cables and various small things like headphones and lens cleaning kits. I'm sure I'll figure out a place to squeeze in the FireStore that shows up on Friday. The only drawback is that I have to unplug the on-camera microphone as the cord is pressed against the side. Anybody know a place to get a right-angle XLR adapter? Markertek no longer carries them.

The version now listed on Porta-Brace seems to be shaped differently so I can't vouch that it has as much room.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:24 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai Camerini
try the KATA HB-207 I talked to a KATA service person and she recommended that bag for a HD100 with AB power kit
I believe this bag is for photography cameras. 22.4 inches. I'm not sure. How long is the HD100 + the AB power kit?
Matt Setnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:21 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Mine (with an extremely wide battery) coms to 22" while the KATA BP-502 is only 21.3", and the KATA HB-207 is actually longer 22.4"
in centimeters it sounds better :-)
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:45 PM   #20
Major Player

I own the Petrol PCUB-HD and use it with the HD100. It's a good bag, all around, although it's a little too snug for this camera if you keep stuff in the large outer pocket (I've been carrying some warm cards and the manual in there while I get used to using this camera). Everything is pretty good, except I've noticed that it's so snug that the gain switch on the camera gets engaged into the H position almost every time the camera is removed from the case. That's a major problem since it's very hard to see gain in HD modes - we actually spent about 10 minutes on a shoot the first time it happened trying to figure out why we couldn't get the picture exposed - it was way over.

Furthermore, if you use this case, you NEED to remove the XLR cable for the shotgun mic. They should have made this an elbow connector for this very reason. But, hey, a cheap mic is a cheap mic, I guess.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Finally a decision

I went and bought the KATA BP-502, i really believe its the best bag for this camera
Its very large yet hold the camera firmly and it has a lot of pockets for accessories

The downside is that when when unpacking you have to lay it on the backpack system directly and then it will get dirty...
Old August 24th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #22
Capt. Quirk

I usually lay a small hand towel over the camera before closing the bag. This adds a little more padding, as well as a clean soft surface for setting up the cam. It also comes in handy for wiping the sweat out of your eyes.
Old August 24th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #23
Regular Crew

...given the fact the KATA HB-207 isn't for the jvc. The biggest dimension you read is the width of the bag, so it'd be very wide on the back. That's good though, I think I've made my choice on the BP-502 as well. My guess is i wouldn't have the xlr problem either. Where did you buy your bag from Camerini?
Matt Setnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Directly from the Kata video designer

It's in Israel... :-)
Old August 25th, 2006, 05:27 AM   #25
Inner Circle

I'm wondering with all these new restriction if it's best to go with hard shell pelican style cases.

and if one goes that route, might it be wiser to detach the VF? there are two reasons i can think of:

1) vf has been determined as a weak link, many breakage issues. Detaching it will reduce chance of injury.

2) you can use a smaller case if you detach the VF.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems