Camera Bags at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Bags

I put off getting one mostly because I was waiting for Petrol's backpack version.

So for there are a total of 6 bags from 3 dffierent vendors to choose from, there are more, but these seem to be the best of what I gathered.

Petrol PCBP-2
Petrol PCUB-HD
Porta Brace CTC-2
Porta Brace HK-P3
Kata BP-502
Kata CCC-10

Any input on any of these?
Matt Setnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:55 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm very fond of the CCC-10. I find it to be roomy and can accommodate my tripod plate and camera with Anton Bauer battery plus a few extras.

A key selling point with Kata and their bags are the yellow interior which makes it easier to find smaller items within the bag. You never really appreciate this feature until you actually put the bag in use. Very helpful feature, well thought out and a very well-built bag. Of course the Petrol bags have an orange interior for the same reason and I like their bag build quality as well. I just don't have any experience with any of those bags listed.
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:01 PM   #3
Capt. Quirk

I can't recommend any of those, but I can NOT recommend a Sima. I bought a pair of these a couple years ago, for my XL1s and GL1. I got rid of the XL, and got a rolling tool box that worked perfect for the GL. Now that I have the HD100, it wouldn't fit the tool box, so I dusted off the Sima. During our week at Disney, it decided to open up a downpour. While the camera didn't get soaked, the bag itself was rather moist. But, the price was great ;)

As far as deals go, I think B&H has a package deal, buy a bag, get a white balance card and a rain jacket free. I so need one of those!
Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brown
I'm very fond of the CCC-10. I find it to be roomy and can accommodate my tripod plate and camera with Anton Bauer battery plus a few extras.
Yes it holds the camera with all this attached, but I find it to be too small width wise. I have to unplug the mic XLR plug before placing the camera in the bag as there is some stress on it otherwise. A right-angled xlr plug would solve this. I also notice that it bends/flexes the EVF when the zip is closed. There are pouches at either end that will hold a items like batteries, but not much else.

I wouldn't recommend this bag unless you want a very 'snug' fit.

If Kata do a larger bag I would get it instead. I believe Portabrace do larger bags, as do Petrol.

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran
Yes it holds the camera with all this attached, but I find it to be too small width wise. I have to unplug the mic XLR plug before placing the camera in the bag as there is some stress on it otherwise. A right-angled xlr plug would solve this. I also notice that it bends/flexes the EVF when the zip is closed. There are pouches at either end that will hold a items like batteries, but not much else.

I wouldn't recommend this bag unless you want a very 'snug' fit.

If Kata do a larger bag I would get it instead. Portabrace do larger bags, as do Petrol.

Andrew
I know what you mean Drew, but I've found that if you tilt it a bit you can usually wiggle it in without too much difficulty.

I think that most of these bags have a tendency to be snug as our Petrol PCCB-2-N that says that it's designed for the XL1 & 2, but we have to squeeze and stretch to get our H1 into the bag. It has a much tighter fit than the HD100 in the Kata bag. Unfortunately I think the smaller sizing is on purpose as to not "slosh" the camera around during transport, but if anyone else knows more, I'd hope they would chime in.
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Tim

I have a feeling that if the bag got a firm knock with the camera in it, the EVF would break off. Whilst the bag is tough, it does tend to bend in the middle. I even removed the shoulder strap as the bag would bend around my body. I always carry it with the handles.

You are probably right about the snug fit being so the camera doesn't slosh about, but some EVF protection would be great. A more rigid side that didn't flex.

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:17 PM   #7
Major Player

I have the Petrol PCUB-HD bag. The camera fits real nice, their is even a section that bulges out a little for the VF to fit into. This part also has plastic lining the inside to provide more protection for the VF.

I can fit the camea in with my IDX battery attached as well.

There are pockets for tapes, filters, etc. I wouldn't have this bag be my only mode of transport for a shoot though.

I always carry a run bag with extra batteries, tapes, cords, mics, etc.

I found that the Petro bag was the best option for the money. It is also small enough to fit into an airline overhead bin, which is a big plus for me.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:23 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Weber
I found that the Petro bag was the best option for the money. It is also small enough to fit into an airline overhead bin, which is a big plus for me.
However, carry-on baggage is no longer allowed, is it? Isn't a hard case necessary now for air travel so it can be checked?
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
However, carry-on baggage is no longer allowed, is it? Isn't a hard case necessary now for air travel so it can be checked?
Jack,

As far as I know you can still carry on board a plane. It was only the flights to and from the UK that had the restrictions. I believe that they have been slightly lifted for those flights.

I will check it out since I have a trip to Egypt next week and I was going to carry on a camera.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:57 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I use the Kata BP-502

I like the bag very much. I do a lot of documentaries - and it is easy to carry around. It fits the HD100 with the wideanglelens mounted - microport can stay on top of the camera and the extra cameramic stays also on when the camera is in the bag. The Kata bag has a extra opening to get the camera out quickly. Here the JVC is to big to get out.
Another downside is the yellow colour inside the bag - it easily gets dirty...
www.dba-media.com
Henrik Helms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:08 PM   #11
New Boot

PortaBrace CTC-2

While on a July shoot in Memphis the PortaBrace CTC-2 was protective and spacious. It held the HD100 fitted with wideangle adapter and Anton Bauer Dionic 90 battery pack. Also I was able to pack the charger inside.

Sam
Sam Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:25 PM   #12
Regular Crew

This thread came at a great time. I was looking for a bag too, I think the Petrol PCUB-HD looks like the better bag for me.

It comes with a rain cover, but that cover may not work for an HD-100. I'll test it & find out though.
Justin Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:40 PM   #13
Capt. Quirk

Justin- When you are ready to order your bag and slick, call them first. Ask if the bag and slicker will work with the HD100, it may not fit, and they might have a set up that will.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:54 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Setnes
I put off getting one mostly because I was waiting for Petrol's backpack version.

So for there are a total of 6 bags from 3 dffierent vendors to choose from, there are more, but these seem to be the best of what I gathered.

Petrol PCBP-2
Petrol PCUB-HD
Porta Brace CTC-2
Porta Brace HK-P3
Kata BP-502
Kata CCC-10

Any input on any of these?
I tested the Petrol bags the PCBP-2 is huge, way to big for this small size camera.
and the PCUB-HD may be comfortable for the camera, but not for the operator.
Shai Camerini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:11 PM   #15
Regular Crew

that's why I was trying to gather the most of what everyone uses. The PCUB-HD looks like the right bag for me, but I'm thinking of getting the Kata BP-502 instead for easy hauling
Matt Setnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems