Concert shot with HD100 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old August 28th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent
I think that it depends on whether or not the documentary is acting as an important historical document. Perhaps the greatest documentary ever made was the WORLD AT WAR series from BBC. That show did the painstaking research not only to find war footage, but actual footage from the actual battles (ie- not just footage from a random WWII battle). That sort of work is needed for something as serious as WWII.
As I said, "the intended audience". The BBC was not making that show for kids playing with GI Joe or someone looking for John Wayne gung-ho. The mistake is averaging everything to a similar standard. Styles change, whch is great, but there seems to be a trend to do everything in a similar style from news to drama.

Quote:
But for a concert, or animal documentary, it's not only fine to 'fudge' a few scenes, but also to more or less stage them - just about every animal documentary ever made is guilty of this 'sin' in one way or another, particularly the older ones. Television interviews having been doing this for years of course (ie - taking/editing in reaction shots out of context to deliever a greater impact).
Talk about obvious (to me at least)! I don't know how many recent animal documentaries about "Lulu" the leopard or some other animal character that is clearly footage of several animals clipped together to create the "lifestory".

Quote:
Doing it for political debates (neat story by the way) I think is a bit of a grey area, but then again it depends on exactly who's paying the bills and what they want. Obviously the people in your story didn't come to talk about the (indoor) weather!

But what if you had a chance to go back in time to shoot the Gettysburg Address? Would you want to edit around the gaffes, or show the whole thing? Or perhaps a better analogy, would you shoot all of Lincoln's re-election campaign speeches and edit them together for effect, or shoot one and let it ride?
Yikes, what a question! Would he have ever been allowed to run if television was around?
Old August 29th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser
Yikes, what a question! Would he have ever been allowed to run if television was around?
That's a whole other question! I guess the basic theme of this thread is you have to do the best you can w/ the tools and time available. I think Steve did a great job w/ what he had - which is a good lesson at any time.

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems