Clip from New Short I Am working on with HD100/Mini35 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 12:01 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ziegelheim
Great lighting. Do you have a lighting diagram or description? With the Mini35 to manage DOF, what drove the decision to keep the background so dark and the foreground so hot?

BTW, where you on a dolly or crane?
I leave lighting to the DP, however, I do tell him what I want and he sets it up until it looks like what I want in the monitor.

I use a 23" HD monitor, and I highly recommend you bring one if you either have one or can rent one. If not, you risk stuff being out of focus and/or not lite enough. The lights were placed over and to the sides. Not a lot of light, but it isn't the amount you use. It is the positions/placement of them.

I wanted the dark look since it is a dark movie. But I used a lot of specific colors, such as blue and red, and dark and light depending on the scene. Preparation is key. The questions should be asked before you shoot. Why are you shooting the movie. What is the scene about? Can you add anyhting that will reflect that, such as colors, light etc? I am taking much more time asking and answering those questions since I started. It pays off at the end. However, I shot this in 5 days and I still could easily use 7-8. I just didn't get everything I wanted. Money is ALWAYS the biggest issue on low budget. Well, you live and learn. Next time I will take even more time, if I can afford it =)
Old September 4th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #17
Regular Crew

brian, along the lines of my other question about aspect ratios...how do you frame to convert to that ratio. Do you mask off your hd monitor give a rough estimate on what it's cropped down to? Thanks
Alan Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 12:24 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Larsen
brian, along the lines of my other question about aspect ratios...how do you frame to convert to that ratio. Do you mask off your hd monitor give a rough estimate on what it's cropped down to? Thanks
My monitor has different frame marker depedning on what my final goal is. I left this at 2:35.1 when we shot and will letterbox it acordingly in FCP. Just go to filters and widescreen and pick the ratio you want.
Old September 4th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #19
Major Player

Brian - really fantastic stuuf fella - your footage helped ensure a swift decision was made when I was scouting for camera's.
Can I ask (and this has probably been asked a thousand times before so apologies in advance) - do you shoot in HDV 24p (25p this end!) then down convert pre delivery? I'm looking to do some shorts (as well as corporate) and I'm searching for the best route in delivering really good footage. I probably won't be able to down convert using a HD Connect box as I'm going down the iMac route.

Impressive results you have there Brian.
Thanks.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood
Brian - really fantastic stuuf fella - your footage helped ensure a swift decision was made when I was scouting for camera's.
Can I ask (and this has probably been asked a thousand times before so apologies in advance) - do you shoot in HDV 24p (25p this end!) then down convert pre delivery? I'm looking to do some shorts (as well as corporate) and I'm searching for the best route in delivering really good footage. I probably won't be able to down convert using a HD Connect box as I'm going down the iMac route.

Impressive results you have there Brian.
Thanks.
Hi, I only shoot and edit 24P. All I do is transfer to HDxDV and then to FCP5. I then burn onto DVD and I guess DVD Pro does any converting if necessary. I don't down convert, at least not that i know of. I am not really a technical person. You could also use the DR-HD100 which will eliminate a few steps. That is next on my menu of things to get. I am not sure I answered your question, but if not, please ask again, or address to someone much morequalified than I. I write and direct =)
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #21
Major Player

Brian - you're probably more technical than me at this stage!
i.e. - what is HDxDV?
Would I be able to use DR-HD100 via an iMac?
After playing with the camera for only a few days I'm now wanting to delve into the more tech aspects of the cam such as scene setting. Tried the cine mode in 25p last night and it's already made a difference.
Many thanks,
Dave.
Old September 5th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood
Brian - you're probably more technical than me at this stage!
i.e. - what is HDxDV?
Would I be able to use DR-HD100 via an iMac?
After playing with the camera for only a few days I'm now wanting to delve into the more tech aspects of the cam such as scene setting. Tried the cine mode in 25p last night and it's already made a difference.
Many thanks,
Dave.
HDxDV is just a third party plug in that allows you to capture 24p from HD-100. I assume you can use any MAc with the DR-HD100 as long as you have the proper software. I don't know anything about the Dr100, since I don't have one. I want one though.
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:08 AM   #23
Major Player

Thanks Brian I will look into that...I assume the same rings true for 25p (in HDV)?
Old September 6th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #24
Major Player

Hi David.

I use HDVxDV as part of my 24p workflow, but it won't do 25p conversions (well, at least not on the one occasion I tried it with 25p).

A really good current workflow for 25p is to capture the .m2t files straight from the camera (or deck) via FireWire with a free application called DVHSCap. Then do your conversions (from .m2t into Quicktime files) with another free application called MPEG Streamclip.

I've given a fully detailed workflow for this in post #8 of this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70518

As to your earlier question about downconversion and delivering good footage (for both your corporates and your shorts), just stay in AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec) all the way. Export your completed sequence from FCP as a final Quicktime movie in AIC. This movie is in HD (the full 1280 X 720) and you can archive it that way (in case you are later asked to deliver these shorts and/or corporates in HD once HD DVD and Blu-Ray become more prevalent).

But for right now, you can take your HD (AIC) Quicktime movie and simply import it into either iDVD or DVD Studio Pro and either of these applications will do the downconversion into SD as part of encoding the DVD. (In DVD Studio Pro remember to put the settings for SD though, as it can also make HD DVDs.) This is the very simplest workflow.

Another way (perhaps even better quality?) is to export the AIC sequence from FCP using Compressor to encode the DVD assets and then drag them into DVD Studio Pro.

If you wanted to downconvert before you actually export from FCP, you could use DVCPRO50, which I think is an excellent codec for SD. I used to do this in earlier workflows and have outlined it in post #5 of this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=65189
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #25
Major Player

Many thanks for this David...I've bookmarked the pages for future referral - I haven't as yet purchased the mac (couple of weeks tops mind).

Quote:
Another way (perhaps even better quality?) is to export the AIC sequence from FCP using Compressor to encode the DVD assets and then drag them into DVD Studio Pro.
Is compressor part of the FCP studio suite? In principle I understand what you're saying but not having used FCP before (or barely touched a mac!) it's a little hard to picture at the moment.

I guess I should be have the 1394 connector set as HDV (and SD whilst I currently export SD footage)?
But many thanks - seems that there are many options available here and one's which won't require me to purchase top end mac pro's (I'll be getting an iMac).
I might be back to you once I start playing with FCP...and hopefully by then FCP should have upgraded to edit HDV 25p natively eh...wishful thinking!

btw - read the bit about the blown firewire ports. I blew my PC port (6 pin) and the 4 pin port on my Panasonic GY mini dv cam. It's a right pain rebooting the pc everytime you want to export footage - especially at the testing-the-camera stage I'm currently at.

Many thanks for your help.
Old September 6th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #26
Major Player

Yes, Compressor comes as part of Final Cut Studio. And yes, definitely set the IEEE1394 switch to HDV when capturing your HDV footage (see page 16 of the camera manual).

This is your lucky day! Apple have just announced the release of the new iMac line, all with new Intel Core 2 Duo processors. You were smart to wait!
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #27
Major Player

Seriously??? I'm usually on the mac forums like a rash! Missed them today as I'm racking my brains over my new JVC cam...timecode and scene files (plus the HDV issue you kindly helped on).
Blinkin eck...might be getting that mac sooner than I thought (had it down as an announcement at the Paris Expo).

wonderful news - cheers David.
Old September 6th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #28
Major Player

Yup - you're right! 24" HD screen and Core Duo processor!
Fantastic.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems