38sec anti-war video shot with HD100 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 20th, 2006, 09:38 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltos Pilalitos
unless you are using Fusion or other software capable of camera projection the instructions will not be of any use to you.

Miltos

I thought this was the case. Hence my confusion as to how this could be done in reality without a compostor or 3d software.

Again, excellent short film.

Thanks

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran
Hence my confusion as to how this could be done in reality without a compostor or 3d software.
This effect can be acheived in Shake ($499.00) and I believe it can be done also in Blender (free 3D, see http://www.blender3d.org)
The latter will require quite a bit of learning while Shake's 3D environment can be learned in an afternoon.
Old September 20th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #33
Regular Crew

so, can something like this be done in AfterEffects? or not, because it lacks this projection function? I think I understand what's going on, but just barely...
Eric Kome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kome
so, can something like this be done in AfterEffects? or not, because it lacks this projection function? I think I understand what's going on, but just barely...
AfterEffects allows you to "project" the video any way you want, move around over the video, etc.

There is a tutorial I saw that takes a map, lays it down, then puts in sign posts and a line to follow, and the camera follows the line, passing the sign posts.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #35
Regular Crew

also, you said you made all the clothes in post? you still had to photograph all the garments, no? you said you didn't have to buy all the clothes which saved budget-wise...

did you just do a dozen or so and duplicate?

fantastic job. i'm blown away.
Eric Kome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:39 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kome
also, you said you made all the clothes in post? you still had to photograph all the garments, no? you said you didn't have to buy all the clothes which saved budget-wise...

did you just do a dozen or so and duplicate?
We photographed 6 or 7 'Hero' garments for the two 'crash zoom' shots and then we photographed one laundy line made of 17-18 different garments. Changing the order of the garments we photographed again the same laundry 6 times of which i used 4 photographs.

To make a long story short, from 20 garments we ended up with 180 different pieces on screen which is very good economy in my opinion. :)
Miltos Pilalitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker
AfterEffects allows you to "project" the video any way you want, move around over the video, etc.

There is a tutorial I saw that takes a map, lays it down, then puts in sign posts and a line to follow, and the camera follows the line, passing the sign posts.
As far as i know, at the moment there is not the possibility to do camera projection tricks in Aftereffects. What you are describing is simple 3D rotation of image planes and placement in 3D space.

Maybe some very clever people will find a very elaborate workaround to do it in AE but i am not sure if it worths all this effort.
Old September 20th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
As far as i know, at the moment there is not the possibility to do camera projection tricks in Aftereffects. What you are describing is simple 3D rotation of image planes and placement in 3D space.

Maybe some very clever people will find a very elaborate workaround to do it in AE but i am not sure if it worths all this effort.
Very well, I stand corrected.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
This effect can be acheived in Shake ($499.00) and I believe it can be done also in Blender (free 3D, see http://www.blender3d.org)
The latter will require quite a bit of learning while Shake's 3D environment can be learned in an afternoon.
A lot of people diss Blender because they're not able to launch it and immediately create the next Toy Story, but my standard response is and has always been, READ THE MANUAL! 3D software is inherently complex and it always confounds me how people can possibly expect to simply pick it up without doing any of the basic research you should do when you first get any complex piece of software. Imagine trying to jump immediately into editing a full-length movie in Avid or FCP without reading the manual first. 3D software's even more complex.

I started using it around version 1.5 (this was many, many years ago, a full license cost a hundred Euros and there were no mouse driven menus at all, just hotkeys, and that's the way we LIKED it =D) and by following along in the manual I was able to make the interface second nature in just a couple of hours. Since then, Blender has been open-sourced and the community has taken great strides in improving the newbie-friendlyness of the interface while preserving the inherent efficiency of the heavy use of hotkeys. I don't see why anybody couldn't learn Blender in about the same amount of time as any other piece of 3D software.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 02:36 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
I've been using 3DS Max for years, so I guess I could use that.

Would this be possible?

Andrew
Old September 21st, 2006, 04:01 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran
I've been using 3DS Max for years, so I guess I could use that.

Would this be possible?

Andrew
Oh, yes! I believe you have to make one of the lights to 'emit' your footage.
Old September 21st, 2006, 05:02 AM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Oh, yes! I believe you have to make one of the lights to 'emit' your footage.
I'll give it a try

Andrew
Old September 21st, 2006, 09:33 PM   #43
New Boot

Stock Lens?

Hi Miltos! Did you use the stock lens with the camera? Your use of depth of field came out pretty well.
Max Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 04:29 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Baker
Hi Miltos! Did you use the stock lens with the camera? Your use of depth of field came out pretty well.
Yeap! That was the stock lens.

We did the usual tricks... long lenses, open iris... you know :-)
Old September 22nd, 2006, 08:48 AM   #45
Major Player

The technique mentioned here is probably best known as 'camera mapping'. Searching with that term will probably yield more results.

There are good tutorials for cinema 4d, blender, maya and 3d studio max (the maya one was mentioned before as well:

cinema4d: http://www.3dfluff.com/cameramapping...mappingtut.htm

blender: http://www.peerlessproductions.com/tuts.html

maya: http://www.digitalartform.com/archiv...rojecti_1.html

3dmax: http://www.cgarchitect.com/resources.../tutorial2.asp

Look at the cinema4d one even if you don't have that program, it explaines the technique best IMO. It also gives you a photoshop file with a landscape consisting of several layers to create the 3d effect.

The most work with this effect in my experience is the part where you have to duplicate the background behind the foreground objects which you 'go around' with your camrea move. The 3d part is ridiculously simple (if you understand the 3d app).

Steven

BTW very nice clip!
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems