38sec anti-war video shot with HD100 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 22nd, 2006, 12:04 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Yes, very nice clip, best image I had seen from JVC HD100 until now.
Yves Fortin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 04:28 AM   #47
Major Player

Thanks Steven for the information and links to tutorials

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #48
Regular Crew

I am about to enter the HDV realm and have questions about workflow to Vegas 6d [which I have] or maybe even v7 as it seems the upgrade is worth it for HDV users.

I have been using a Sony VX1000 and Canon XL1s firewired into Vegas. I must say I have never been very impressed with the colour quality output.

I've just come across your 38sec anti-war video and am not just blown away by the image quality but that this quality is here and available now for under 10K! I was very encouraged by your work. A quantum leap from what I have been getting on screen.

You said you edited in Vegas 6d. Would you mind telling me what your workflow was in getting these magnificent images to screen.

For a start, HDv PAL is 4.2.0 colourspace right, so that mean you have to bump it up to 4.2.2 to get better colour reproduction I gather. I'm a luddite with HDV so bear with me if you can. What's all this about SDI? All I know about it is that it means serial digital interface.

And I thought Vegas only edited in a 5:1 compression space. So how did you get the images looking so good using Vegas. What am I missing here.

In short, could you please explain the steps you went through to arrive at the brilliant output.

And do you know a thread or forum that explains the basic steps from a JVC HD100 into Vegas6d or 7.

Once again, great work Miltos

Thx
Geoff
Geoff Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 04:48 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Thanks Geoff,

I am glad you liked the clip.

HDV is 4:2:0 and there are no magic tricks to get a 4:2:2 sampled image from that. However, there is Magic Bullet for Vegas (Deartifacter tool) and with this you can remove those nasty 4:2:0 colour artifacts.

The workflow is easy really and it's based on a Zero-Loss philosophy. What i do is edit the footage in Vegas and when i am happy with the cut i export it as an uncompressed .avi or .mov filtering it through the Deartifacter tool. When i was using PPro2 i was exporting it as a TGA sequence but i haven't found how to do this in Vegas yet :)

So after that, i go to the Colour Correction stage where i fix stuff that might need fixing or help the footage to go towards the particular mood we are trying to make. I am using another software for this stage (Eyeon's Fusion 5 because i can do all the CC calculations with floating point precision) and once again i export to an uncompressed .TGA sequence. So, from the moment i finish my cut i do all the CC or FX (if needed) in a lossless way.

Eventualy i end up with a final TGA sequence which i call my "MASTER" and i use it to do all my various encodings to other video formats/compressions.

Take notice that i am mostly shooting TV commercials where the duration almost never exceeds 60secs so such a workflow is easy to follow. You are really going to need lots of disk space for other kind of projects like short or feature films.

The HD100 is the main ingredient though... It just has the power to produce jaw dropping footage if used properly...

:)
Miltos
Miltos Pilalitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #50
Tourist

the "look"

i really like the "look" of this video and im shocked it wasnt done with any kind of 35mm adaptor. any tips for the color grading technique u used. thanx.
Khamseng Varipath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #51
Major Player

Just a little nettiquette tip, once a thread doesn't get any responses for a week or two, it should really be considered "dead" and you should start a new thread, linking to the old one for reference. Threads from half a year ago are right out.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #52
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamseng Varipath View Post
i really like the "look" of this video and im shocked it wasnt done with any kind of 35mm adaptor. any tips for the color grading technique u used. thanx.
Hey Khamseng,

Glad you liked the video. I can't believe that 6 months passed already since we shot it!

The "look" started with Paolo's True color 3 settings for the camera. Then in postproduction i color corrected the shots for continuity and then graded it.

The grading -as well as the correction- i did in Fusion 5. Because of the subject matter i didn't want it to look like a music video so i graded it as simple as i could avoiding extreme contrasts or tints. If i remember correctly i mostly fixed the skin tones to a less videoish color and darkened or lightened different parts of the frame.

Some parts seem to have a more filmic depth of field because of the framing and the long lens.

A few months later i purchased a Letus HD100 adapter which REALLY gave a filmic DoF. I posted a commercial i did with it in this forum a few weeks ago. You can have a look at the video as well as some info on it here:

http://pilalitos.blogspot.com/2007/0...radio-tvc.html
Miltos Pilalitos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems