Fujinon 13x3.5 Wide Angle Or Mini35? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 16th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Fujinon 13x3.5 Wide Angle Or Mini35?

Assuming you intended to shoot a low budget feature I'm curious which of the two choices others out there would buy if they had a spare 10k to spend on their package? I just ordered the wide angle lens but have been having second thoughts after comparing prices between the wide angle lens and the Mini35 system with the Nikon mount- for which I already have a few good quality lenses in my arsenal. Any feedback from experienced users of either or both would be appreciated.
Scott Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #2
Trustee

From what I have read, setting up the 35mm adapter and keeping everything aligned, etc. etc. is not that easy.

The wide angle lens is an excellent lens that gives an excellent picture without doing more than setting the telephoto, iris and focus.

For shooting a low budget feature, in all kinds of situations, where time is the supreme God, and anything that can make things simple is a godsend, intellectually I think the wide angle lens is the right chois.

Hopefully, Tim Dashwood, who just finished a feature with the HD100 and wideangle lens, will have an opinion based on experience.

Not to mention, I think the wideangle lens will hold its value well for resale. I think it will continue to be the number one all around lens for the HD series for shooting video.

The 35mm adapter may give more dof options, but I don't think this is the determining factor in making a choice in most situations that will be encounted.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:14 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Another consideration is the amount of light you lose using the Mini35. If your lighting resources are limited, you may find it better going with the wide angle. There are a number of factors to be considered on a production, having 35mm DOF is only one of them.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #4
Major Player

The Mini35 also turns your lightweight, flexible camera into a beast that requires a crew to keep it happy. Something else to keep in mind.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The wide angle choice

I´ve have used the wide angle lens for some time now, and filmed 5 documentaries with it - from my point of view it lifted the camera up to another level after I changed to the wide angle instead of the stock lens.
The colours is better, it is working better in low light situations - and I have no more problems with back focus.
I am a very happy that i to the chance and spent the money....
www.dba-media.com
Henrik Helms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Have you checked out the Letus35 for the HD100? It's under $1K US. I don't know if it comes with the lens adaptor you need, but it's getting good reviews overall. It has it's own relay lens like the mini35.

check out the Letus subforum in the alternative image forum here on dvinfo.

Just a thought if you already have some lenses and you're strapped for cash.
Old September 18th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys, I just received my lens today and am blown away by it so far. I'm doing more tests this week but so far it's a keeper!
Scott Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems