"CHANGING MODE" serious playback problem... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 12:45 AM   #1
Tourist

"CHANGING MODE" serious playback problem...

Hello guys, i did some HD 30 720p recording with my GYHD1OO and for some reason when i try to play it back to capture it, a part of the tape stays in a blue screen with a CHANGING MODE sign. It is weird cause i did a whole cassete and i have good footage in the beginning of the tape and near the end of it. I just want to know what causes that problem and if there is a way to recorver all the footage in that tape (It is a music video, so you can imagine me telling a rock band their best shots are gone). Thank for the help.
Jonathan
Jonathan Marquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 12:58 AM   #2
Wrangler

There is nothing you can do. This was an erratic problem with some HD100s released in the first part of the year. The "A" update seems to have repaired the problem.
I was also told by an engineer that the problem can be induced by hitting record before a scene file has finished loading.

The first thing to check is if you actually own an "A" model. Pull back the shoulder pad, look in the area near the serial number for a small circular sticker that reads (A).

Either way, contact your dealer and tell them you have a mode changing issue. They should forward your issue to the appropriate department at JVC or simply replace your unit.

In the future make use of the "RET" button to review the last few seconds of the good takes before moving on. I equate this to "checking the gate" in the film world.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 03:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Hmm, haven't come across this as yet but I've had a blue screen and a flashing format notification on occasions eg: 50i flashing when in 25p. Seems to resolve itself however.

Quote:
The first thing to check is if you actually own an "A" model. Pull back the shoulder pad, look in the area near the serial number for a small circular sticker that reads (A).
When I purchased my camera I was advised that they had a new batch of GY HD100E's in that had some software fix carried out in Germany - I cannot see an (A) sticker where you suggest but there is one underneath the lense next to the manual/auto (M S) zoom button - likely to be an A model?
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood
I cannot see an (A) sticker where you suggest but there is one underneath the lense next to the manual/auto (M S) zoom button - likely to be an A model?
No, the "A" sticker would be on the camera body by the serial number. The lens is a separate product manufactured by a different company (Fujinon). If it's not there, you need the upgrade.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:50 AM   #5
Tourist

Thanks guys, ill get in touch with my dealer to see what they can do..
Jon
Jonathan Marquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 03:23 PM   #6
Major Player

When I got my full update they didn't add a 'A' sticker to it.
It's a bit confusing for us here in Europe to checkout if you got the update or not. I would advice Jonathan to go to your local JVC dealer and ask for the last available firmware. It did fix my 'mode changing' problem.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont
When I got my full update they didn't add a 'A' sticker to it.
It's a bit confusing for us here in Europe to checkout if you got the update or not. I would advice Jonathan to go to your local JVC dealer and ask for the last available firmware. It did fix my 'mode changing' problem.
Yes, but keep in mind that the A update was much more than just firmware. Hardware components were also replaced.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:44 AM   #8
Major Player

I was advised at the time of buying from the shop that the batch of JVC GY HD100s had just been updated (in Germany I believe). Is it possible once you've bought this camera to then ask for the update (which as Tim suggests would include component replacements)?
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:58 AM   #9
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood
I was advised at the time of buying from the shop that the batch of JVC GY HD100s had just been updated (in Germany I believe). Is it possible once you've bought this camera to then ask for the update (which as Tim suggests would include component replacements)?
David, please contact the JVC Pro service center in your area for an answer. http://www.jvcpro.co.uk/speak_html
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Yes, but keep in mind that the A update was much more than just firmware. Hardware components were also replaced.
Hey Tim,

What hardware was replaced? I did not notice this after my (A) upgrade.

Thanks,

Carl
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:50 PM   #11
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin
Hey Tim,

Thanks,

Carl
Carl, any parts that your camera might have needed for the upgrade were very small, internal parts. You would not see any physical differences on the outside of the camera.

Regards, Carl Hicks
Old October 3rd, 2006, 01:26 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin
Internal stuff. I have no idea really. I assume fuses and possibly electronic components, depending on when and where your unit was manufactered.

All I know is that I was told jokingly when mine were taken for the update that I wouldn't even recognize my camera if I saw it on the "operating room table" during the update process!
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:57 PM   #13
Trustee

Hmmmm...

This is interesting - I thought it was firm-ware only up grade.

Still think it's pretty cool that JVC bit the bullet on this issue and offered the free 'A' upgrade/recall.

Is that offer still open to recent buyers of the camera? Or did this end in July for everyone?

Thinking of getting 2nd camera - how much is the upgrade if need it?

jdv
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:01 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Internal stuff. I have no idea really. I assume fuses and possibly electronic components, depending on when and where your unit was manufactered.

All I know is that I was told jokingly when mine were taken for the update that I wouldn't even recognize my camera if I saw it on the "operating room table" during the update process!
Thanks Tim.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 05:02 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vincent
This is interesting - I thought it was firm-ware only up grade.

Still think it's pretty cool that JVC bit the bullet on this issue and offered the free 'A' upgrade/recall.

Is that offer still open to recent buyers of the camera? Or did this end in July for everyone?

Thinking of getting 2nd camera - how much is the upgrade if need it?

jdv
I'm pretty sure it is under $200.00
Carl Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems