DC/AC Power Inverter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 5th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #1
New Boot

DC/AC Power Inverter

Does anyone have experience using an DC/AC inverter for their video camera?

I've got a JVC HD100U with a crappy battery. Instead of spending $12 billion on getting an additional battery or two, I was thinking about using a car/boat battery (maybe a UPS battery) and then using a power inverter for it. I've been reading that I might need the 'pure sine wave' inverter, but wasn't sure if it would work.

Does anyone have experience with a power inverter powering a video camera? I'm worried about noise...

Do I need a pure sine wave inverter? Can I get a cheaper inverter?

Your reply is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sean Cloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Trustee

With all due respect to your budget, you should bite the bullet and get a real battery solution from IDX or AB. Also there are some other battery options available in the UK (which I can't recall now).
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #3
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cloutier
Does anyone have experience using an DC/AC inverter for their video camera?

I've got a JVC HD100U with a crappy battery. Instead of spending $12 billion on getting an additional battery or two, I was thinking about using a car/boat battery (maybe a UPS battery) and then using a power inverter for it. I've been reading that I might need the 'pure sine wave' inverter, but wasn't sure if it would work.

Does anyone have experience with a power inverter powering a video camera? I'm worried about noise...

Do I need a pure sine wave inverter? Can I get a cheaper inverter?

Your reply is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
ThePower inverter has its losses, it is about 60-75% efficient; the same is true for the AC Power adapter. By daisy chaining an inverter and an adapter, you would be wasting almost half of the battery charge due to losses. In other words, a large 10AH battery would actually give you a run time of a 5-6AH battery. Also messy cabling is not a good thing. A much cleaner and efficient way to do it is using a DC-DC converter, that is capable of taking 12-14V in from a battery, and delivering 7.2V to the camera. We make them, but also a few other manufacturers, like Anton Bauer and such. AB has the converter integrated into their Gold Mount plate. HTH
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #4
New Boot

Wow! Thanks for the replys.

I'll double check the prices again on the real camera battery + charger, but from what I remember, it was around $1200 for a decent solution.

If I can get a car/boat/ups battery + inverter + adaptor for around $300, and it works (without noise), then I'm still thinking about this solution.

Again, thanks for your help!
Sean Cloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Cloutier
Wow! Thanks for the replys.

I'll double check the prices again on the real camera battery + charger, but from what I remember, it was around $1200 for a decent solution.

If I can get a car/boat/ups battery + inverter + adaptor for around $300, and it works (without noise), then I'm still thinking about this solution.

Again, thanks for your help!
Have you seen this? ----> CLICK HERE
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems