Head Cleaners and Changing Tape Stock at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 5th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Head Cleaners and Changing Tape Stock

I've looked around these forums and found a lot of useful information on this but have not been able to wrap up all the data into one suitable answer (if there ever is such a thing!).

I had 5 new, unwrapped Sony Mini DV 60 tapes sitting around when I received my HD100 so I decided I'd use them as test tapes as I learned about all the settings and quirks of my new camera.

My intention was to clean the heads as soon as I used all the Sony tapes (1 pass only) and then switch to the JVC PRO 63 tapes (maybe I don't have that name quite-- I mean the tapes suggested by Carl hicks for the HD100) for the serious stuff.

So I'm wondering what head cleaner to use during the switch between the Sony's and the JVCs. I figured I'd just use the JVC cleaner because it's made for this camera. But then I read somewhere where someone suggested using a Sony cleaner because it was Sony goop and dirt that I was cleaning up from my heads. I'd love anyone's input on that.

Also, even though I have seen it posted on these boards before, I can not for the life of my find the suggested JVC head cleaner! I do remember it had a triangle on the front of the box and that I couldn't seem to find it anywhere except on E-bay.

So I guess I have three questions:

1. Even though it might not be optimal, is it ok for me to use my (5) cheap Sonys as my test tapes (1 pass each) and then clean my heads and switch (for good) over to the JVC Pro HDV tapes?

2. Should I use a Sony head cleaner after I use my final Sony tape and then switch to JVC stock? (Or perhaps even use a Sony head cleaner AND a JVC cleaner?)

3. What is the name and model number of the best HDV/MiniDV JVC head cleaner and where can I get it?

Thanks very much, you guys. You are very helpful as always.

Maat
Maat Vansloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maat Vansloot
I've looked around these forums and found a lot of useful information on this but have not been able to wrap up all the data into one suitable answer (if there ever is such a thing!).

I had 5 new, unwrapped Sony Mini DV 60 tapes sitting around when I received my HD100 so I decided I'd use them as test tapes as I learned about all the settings and quirks of my new camera.

My intention was to clean the heads as soon as I used all the Sony tapes (1 pass only) and then switch to the JVC PRO 63 tapes (maybe I don't have that name quite-- I mean the tapes suggested by Carl hicks for the HD100) for the serious stuff.

So I'm wondering what head cleaner to use during the switch between the Sony's and the JVCs. I figured I'd just use the JVC cleaner because it's made for this camera. But then I read somewhere where someone suggested using a Sony cleaner because it was Sony goop and dirt that I was cleaning up from my heads. I'd love anyone's input on that.

Also, even though I have seen it posted on these boards before, I can not for the life of my find the suggested JVC head cleaner! I do remember it had a triangle on the front of the box and that I couldn't seem to find it anywhere except on E-bay.

So I guess I have three questions:

1. Even though it might not be optimal, is it ok for me to use my (5) cheap Sonys as my test tapes (1 pass each) and then clean my heads and switch (for good) over to the JVC Pro HDV tapes?

2. Should I use a Sony head cleaner after I use my final Sony tape and then switch to JVC stock? (Or perhaps even use a Sony head cleaner AND a JVC cleaner?)

3. What is the name and model number of the best HDV/MiniDV JVC head cleaner and where can I get it?

Thanks very much, you guys. You are very helpful as always.

Maat
Use Sony head cleaner then use your JVC tapes but if I were you and dont get me wrong Carl Hicks is a great guy and I have much respect for him but he is a JVC rep so what do you think he is going to say. I would bump up to Sonys professional hdv tape phdvm-63dm I think its better than the JVC tape I have used it from day one its an excellent tape I think the best on the market you started with Sony why not stay with it, its not going to hurt your camera and has a low drop out rate and is very reliable great for editing, it is in mine and many others opinion the best tape out so far.
Gary Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems