1st 1:45 of new feature using HD100's popular settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 22nd, 2006, 09:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

1st 1:45 of new feature using HD100's popular settings

As promised, here is a footage from the first 1:45sec of the the film I'm working on. HD100 is the camera with stock lens using lots of Tim, Paolo & Stephen's scene files. There's still 11 filming days left.

Please right-click and download the 720p wmvHD file.

http://www.georgedavidfilms.com/suit...s/suite507.wmv

Last edited by George David; October 22nd, 2006 at 11:29 PM.
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi David, Very nice footage and editing.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:31 AM   #3
Major Player

What can I say fella - cracking trailer you have there. Well done.
Looks like you have used a combination of the scene settings - the cassette player against the guitar shot for exampe.
Interesting use of subtitles also George. And you composed the music for the film right?
Cheers.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Is that 30p? and Why? Why not 24p?
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Marc - thank you for your kind works.

David - Good take on the different settings between adjacent scenes. Definitely that's on purpose. This is one of those weird films where you don't know when the character is dreaming, hallucinating, awake or actually experiencing something supernatural :-) The different scene files hopefully will confuse people more. Regarding the subtitles, that's one thing I never done before so I wanted to do something that's similar to a corporate video without the lower/upper 3rds (ha ha ). And yes, I composed the little piano piece there.

Jaadgy -- everything is shot on 24p frame rate. I didn't use 30p with anything although I like 30p frame more.

Opps -- I just watched the downloaded trailer. I put Sony pictures to show to the cast/crew yesterday for good luck as we're using mostly sony stuff (laptop, software, monitor, etc.). I'll remove that part...
Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Looking at the footage again - Jaadgy, thank you for the 30p comment. That actually made my day :-) I love it when there's no judder in anyway in 24p. The trailer does look like 30p to me. In the last sequence when the guitar is strummed and head of the actress moves, that's the only time I sorta' notice it's 24p.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:31 AM   #7
Major Player

George
Very good. All with stock lens etc - no 35mm adaptor?

Andrew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Drew. Yes, no 35mm adapter - just the 16x stock lens. Thanks for looking.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:29 PM   #9
Trustee

Looking good. Always amazed at how well the camera "sees" outdoor footage. Loved the shot of the moon...

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 03:13 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Looks good! Any correction done here, or is all just straight scene files- in camera? the shot of the girl with the red background -which file? the blond girl distraught? the exterior blue sky/moon?
Any tips/advice on exposure, etc., observations about using the hd100?
Thanks!
Hayes Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:13 PM   #11
Regular Crew

John - thanks, man. I love how the HD100 films exterior shots, especially a scene with lots of shadow/light interaction.

Hayes - for the cute little girl (she is a genius child and has good credits on IMDB) in red background, I used panamatch and then darkened/increase contrast in post slightly. I also used a .6 ND filter with that shot.

For the blond distraught young woman (great person and beautiful actress), Tim's bleach bypass 3200k WB with lots of tungsten light from the direction of a large window. I also used a fig-rig for those who wonder if the Fig-rig works with the HD100 (mixed results, but workable).

The exterior shot of the moon was done using Paolo's TC2 and I darkened/increased contrast in post. Everything else is straight from the camera.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:56 PM   #12
New Boot

Does anyone else find it entertaining that it was Sony Pictures using the HD100?
Matthew McKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #13
Regular Crew

George,

I am greatly impressed. I think what struck me most were your blacks. They dropped off into infinity without any trace of artifacting or blockiness.

I am very interested in the shot of the tape recorder. How did you light this shot, what settings did you use, and what post work did you use on it?

My only criticism, and please take it with a grain of salt because I have obviously not seen the entire project, is the shot of the girl with the curly hair and glasses(?) occuring around 1:30. I felt this was shot a little too flat and looked video-y.

Keep up the great work.
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Matthew - I need to take that Sony thing down before I get in trouble as that was just to boost morale :-) I used mostly Sony products to make this film from software to monitors -- even got close to using an XDCAM but I'm glad to stay with the JVC.

Joshua -- thank you for your kind comments. The blacks were probably just out of pure luck -- because of how the JVC handles them and also because of nice scene files designed by awesome and very helpful pros here.

The shot of the tape recorder was done using macro mode, very nice natural lighting coming from a window with 2 inch blinds, bleach bypass setting @ 5600k WB and no post work whatsoever. You are very correct about the young woman shot. I wish I took more time to do that -- I just opened the blinds in the room and them stuck a 3200 fill light with blue gel. I would love to redo that shot with a more dramatic lighting, possibly with nice shadows in her face and add a little color and texture to the wall or something. (which I will in a couple of weeks if I have more time).
Old October 24th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #15
Major Player

George
Very nice shots!
For my taste, the refered girl (with glasses) close up is a bit over saturated, maybe a little less magenta could improve that shot, despite I have impression people (in this forum) prefer more saturated colours than me.
But overall good work.
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems