Fujinon 17x5 lens - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 8th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Werner,

The stock lens weighs 1 Kg, or about 2.2 pounds. The 17x is 1/2 inch (about 12mm) longer, and weighs 2.75 pounds (1.25 Kg).

I also found the additional weight taxes the front plate/lens mount on the camera, and just laying my hand on the focus ring to pull focus caused focus problems from lens movement (the stock lens does this too, but the extra weight and length of the 17x exacerbates the problem). I made a lens support piece which solved the problem completely.

As a note, I do very little hand held work; mine is mostly tripod, jib, fixed mount etc. I'm 63 (just think of all that experience), and just standing straight up and still is a problem, let alone with a camera. Unless I'm dancing. Heh, heh.

Gary
Gary Morris McBeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:49 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Morris McBeath
I'm 63 (just think of all that experience), and just standing straight up and still is a problem, let alone with a camera. Unless I'm dancing. Heh, heh.
I can't help laughing, I'm sorry.... but I'm thinking of all the experience... :-)
Old November 16th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #18
Regular Crew

You don't want to go there. Unless drinking beer. Or a single malt.

Gary
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #19
Major Player

"I am still happy with my purchase, and for the type of shooting I do, breathing is not an issue. Having a super wide angle is also not an issue; although the WCV-82 WA converter does not fit the 17x, I could always snap the stock lens back on with the converter to get that slight extra width."

I'm wondering why the 17x lens doesn't work w/ the WCV-82 WA. It's a 82mm thread, no?
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #20
Major Player

wide adapter for the 17x. I'm curious about this as well.... I have the 17x lens and assumend that the 82mm thread adapter for the 16x would fit - the lens brochure points to very expensive adapters (I've posted already on this)
I don't have a 16x on hand to compare feel, resultant frame effect between 5.5 and 5 etc, CA etc, but after looking at the 16x at shows, the 17x really seems to have a better build. I'm convinced that the lens is really critical on this camera, since they seem to be doing so well on the other elements in the chain!
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #21
Major Player

Are there threads on the front of the lens? If there are, it should screw right on, no?
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Parker View Post
Are there threads on the front of the lens? If there are, it should screw right on, no?
Yes the lens has 82mm threads on the front. But Gary actually has the units, so he would know.... Maybe it mounts with the hood bayonet, maybe there is vignetting at the 17x 5mm setting... I'd like to know too.
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Yep, I do know. The WA adapter is 82mm threads, and I got fooled.

The problem is, the 17x front lens element is closer to the threads than on the stock lens, and the adapter body protrudes beyond the threads to the point it interferes with the front lens element on the 17x.

So, when I have the need for the wide angle, I have to put the stock lens back on.

There is is.

Gary
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #24

I REALLY dislike the plastic lens barrel and, therefore, plastic threads on the 16x lens. I bought the 17x and am much happier with this lens. Even with a metal filter adapter ring, the clamp on my mattbox will distort the 16x plastic barrel enough to bind the focus ring.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #25
Major Player

What do you do if you want the wider angle? Did you have the WCV-82 WA before? How much more does the adapter give you than the 17x lens? Is there any way to get the WCV-82 WA to work with the 17x lens or do you have to go back to the stock lens?

That's a lot of questions. Sorry.
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #26
Major Player

Thanks Gary,
Bill Parker: I think Gary answered your questions very directly - please reread his last post. The different focal lengths can be easilly calculated. The JVC (fujinon) adapter is a .82 adapter on a 5.5mm lens= 4.51mm. At the wide end, every fraction of a mm counts. Making a representation of the frame would be a bit more difficult.
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
I REALLY dislike the plastic lens barrel and, therefore, plastic threads on the 16x lens. I bought the 17x and am much happier with this lens. Even with a metal filter adapter ring, the clamp on my mattbox will distort the 16x plastic barrel enough to bind the focus ring.
Bill,
you are not using the right adapter ring. I used to use the same on my previous camera (DSR-500 with Fujinon) and it worked fine. With this lens the adapter ring has to be a screw-on type. It's a bit awkward to find the thread sometimes but it works and it doesn't squeeze the focusing ring. Your other option is, of course, rods.
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Just think, if the converter would have worked on the 17x ..... that's .82 times 5, take away 4, add 4, let's see, that's, um, 4.1 mm. Very Wide.

You could almost get the front and back seats of a car, from inside! At the same time. Or even something in the men's room. From the seat. Like, when I pulled focus, I saw the words "For a good time ..... "

Oh, I'm getting silly again. Probably get kicked off this forum for this one.

Ain't bein' a cinematographer fun? Yesterday I couldn't even spell cinematographer, and now I are one.

Gary
Old July 31st, 2007, 11:05 AM   #29
New Boot

Upgrading to 17x

Does anyone know if the rear focus and zoom controls currently being used on the stock 16x lens will work on the 17x?
Justin Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #30
New Boot

Rear op controls are not interchangeable for focus

The zoom control will work on both the 16x and 17x, but the focus control mounts differently on the lenses, they are not interchangeable.
Robert Yarosh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems