Seeking First Impressions of HD200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 18th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Seeking First Impressions of HD200

Does any one have a review of the HD200? I'm really curious, but i don't see anyone telling of the details of the new Camera..... Anyone?
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Major Player

We are all still awaiting delivery here in the US.

Mine arrives tommorow...
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 04:12 AM   #3
Major Player

I have recieved mine and have to say that I am extremly happy - the footage looks great (high detail, great colour, good low-light performance with minimal gain) - as does the camera. The layout is perfect and the menu is easy and very versatile. Im going to have some footage up and also a full review in the coming weeks.
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:33 AM   #4
Major Player

woah, man if you could possibly uload (wherever possible a 50p footage & a standard DV footage as I am willing to have one for my DV based wedding coverages.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 03:41 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Does the HD200 have a optical image stabilizer? I can't seem to fine one listed in the specifications. It is important to me since I shoot on a moving boat or helicopter.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 06:42 PM   #6
Major Player

No - it has a real lens. If you need to stabilize the shot you will need to rent some other type of stabilizing system. I rented a gyro system from Oppenheimer this past summer and it worked really well (after I spent some time with it). There are a few systems available and ultimately what you use depends on your application and budget.
Old December 24th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Jiri,

I shoot with a Z1 and use the built in stabilizer plus I own a Kenyon KS-8 gyro which I put on the bottom of the camera when hand shooting all on a custom shoulder brace with front end support. This works great but the interlace image is still a problem in rough conditions on the water. My reason for looking into the HD200 is progressive, plus 30p, 60p to raise the quality of the image.

I shoot full manual and would like the full manual lens on the HD200. Just want to make sure I can keep the image stable which is crutial in my job.

What type of shooting were you doing with the Oppenheimer gyro? Hand held?

Thank you for your help.
Old December 26th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #8
Major Player

Been using the 200e for a week now and the improvements over 100e are great. Mainly it's the little things that have pleased me most. Such as;

Rear clasp for tripod base plate. The 100 didnt have this and it made it liable to wobble on the move as it was pivoting on the front end.

More mounting hooks for radio mics etc.

V Lock battery mount as standard with full voltage display in viewfinder

and...

16 over 14 bit front end, plus 50p as main advantages.

Buy it...it's a superb camera for the money! I've used beta SP and Digi Beta most of my career and this thing has a great deal of little (and big) things those cameras didnt have!
Stuart Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Campbell
I've used beta SP and Digi Beta most of my career and this thing has a great deal of little (and big) things those cameras didnt have!
Would love to hear some more elaboration on what you said here, Stuart. I primarily shoot Beta SP with the Sony D35/50 and I am seriously looking at switching to this camera.
Old December 27th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin
What type of shooting were you doing with the Oppenheimer gyro? Hand held?
Paul,
I can't remember the name of the system now... but it was a mount with 3 or 4 gyros on the various axis. We used it in a removed door of Cessna 205 and also on a 20' power boat. As I said, it worked well after I spent some time learning to use it. The best is to balance it well and then leave it alone and 'manipulate' it as little as possible. If you need to learn more, ask Marty Oppenheimer (www.oppenheimercamera.com)
Old December 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Thank you Jiri,

Oppenheimer has a excellent rental section. I have not used their gyro mounts but I have used a Tyler mount in a helicopter with great success.

I guess my concern of shoulder mount shooting in a powerboat would not be that much of a problem with my Kenyon KS-8 mounted to the camera.

After some research from my last post I notice only hand held HDV cameras have image stablizers except for the canon XL-H1.

Next step is to wait for the HD200 to appear at B&H and go try it out. 720p 60p should be excellent for my work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems