I just received my HD250u at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 21st, 2006, 04:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I just received my HD250u

It is a happy Christmas in my home. I picked up my HD250u yesterday and have been thumbing through the manual and playing with the settings with the camera jacked into my LG LCD via component. It is pretty. . .

I'll be adding to this post as I have time to play after the holidays, but for now I wanted to comment on just a few things.

1. HD100/110 scene files are not compatible with the 200 series. It says so very plainly in the manual. We'll have to start from scratch with some manual settings.

2. The 3 stud mount (Anton Bauer) battery greatly improves the balance of the camera. I know this has been stated before about the 100 series, but when you feel it you'll be stunned, too. And I have to tell you, these batteries will power this camera for a long time. I'll have real numbers on battery usage later in January.

3. I find the defaults in this camera's software to be much better than the defaults that shipped with the 100. I still not sure I'd use them for any particular project, but JVC tried.

Those are my first impressions. I'll have more after the holidays.

Happy Christmas!
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

editing,...

What setup are you going to edit with?
Ian Mora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:48 PM   #3
New Boot

Me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Haufschild
It is a happy Christmas in my home. I picked up my HD250u yesterday and have been thumbing through the manual and playing with the settings with the camera jacked into my LG LCD via component. It is pretty. . .
Took delivery of my new HD250U last Monday- and shot with it for 16 hours straight on Tues.

With just enough time to learn the basic operations, I was shooting in 720p/60 in no time (for a reality TV pilot), recording to tape and capturing to DR-HD100. Even with the factory settings, I have to say that the image quality is nothing short of stellar, and certainly does give most other (hideously expensive) HD cameras out there a run for their money.

Even when outfitted 2 lav receivers plus hard drive, the HD250U is so well balanced, I was able to maintain the quality of my handheld shots, even into late hours.

Thanks to all on this board for their contributions, for it was all of you who helped me make a purchasing decision. I love the image quality so much, I bought it before my Avid would fully support it.

-KDC
Keith DeCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Mora
What setup are you going to edit with?
I'm a Premiere guy, so I'm editing with PPro 2 with the Cineform Aspect intermediate. My editing rig is custom built based on an AMD 64 x2 4600 processor and RAID 0+1 for capture and backup.

Chad
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #5
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith DeCristo
Took delivery of my new HD250U last Monday- and shot with it for 16 hours straight on Tues.

With just enough time to learn the basic operations, I was shooting in 720p/60 in no time (for a reality TV pilot), recording to tape and capturing to DR-HD100. Even with the factory settings, I have to say that the image quality is nothing short of stellar, and certainly does give most other (hideously expensive) HD cameras out there a run for their money.

Even when outfitted 2 lav receivers plus hard drive, the HD250U is so well balanced, I was able to maintain the quality of my handheld shots, even into late hours.

Thanks to all on this board for their contributions, for it was all of you who helped me make a purchasing decision. I love the image quality so much, I bought it before my Avid would fully support it.

-KDC
Keith,

I'm glad to hear of your successes so far with the GY-HD250U. I would love to see a sample of your 60p footage, and I'm sure other would as well. Would it be possible for you to post a sample?

Regards,
Old December 27th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #6
New Boot

Ack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Hicks

I would love to see a sample of your 60p footage, and I'm sure other would as well. Would it be possible for you to post a sample?
At the moment I am unable to post a single frame without some suit in alligator shoes reading me the riot act, but I'll get something out there as soon as I can.

However- the footage that's really going to be worth the download is an action- horror indie feature, currently in production. Much of the film's narrative resides near the -1 stop range (plenty of ominous and foreboding, that sort of thing), which is where the 250 really sings (IMHO).

I'll see to it that some rushes get posted.
Keith DeCristo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems