Joseph William Turner Look on HD100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 4th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #1
New Boot

Joseph William Turner Look on HD100?

Is anyboy familiar with this 18/19th century romantic painter?

His paintings are impressionistic light shows, battles between light and dark.
Google "dawn after the wreck" for an example.

I was hoping the dop's could advise on how to achieve this look.

Thanks
David Lester Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #2
Wrangler

Wow... That's a tough one to design in-camera.

I could probably design a scene file that has muted colours with a overall faded sepia tone, but you'd have to do the slight vignetting in post.

You might also want to try a Fog or double Fog filter to emulate the "haziness" in alot of his art, and maybe a Didymium filter to enhance the browns/red/oranges without affecting other colours. Keep some soft ND grads on hand to balance the sky with the ground. You could also use a polarizer.
Old March 4th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lester Mooney View Post
Is anyboy familiar with this 18/19th century romantic painter?

His paintings are impressionistic light shows, battles between light and dark.
Google "dawn after the wreck" for an example.

I was hoping the dop's could advise on how to achieve this look.

Thanks
I hope most people have heard of him. He is Britain's most celebrated artist, after all.
The sense of drama in many of his paintings comes as much from the subject matter and composition as it does from the heavy diffusion and overly saturated sunsets he so often painted.

There was an inherent sadness in many of his paintings that he reflected in his colour palette and there was also an extraordinary sense of movement that added to the mood of each painting.

I wouldn't describe his work as "battles of light and dark", that sounds like the Dutch masters to me. Turners work exhibited richly saturated colours dancing in gently dappled light.

I'd go for extreme diffusion and highly selected focus, pop on a wide lens and only turn the camera on during "magic hour". That should do the trick.
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #4
Major Player

I inadvertantly captured the look of Lowry over the weekend. I was actually zoomed into the Lowry Museum in Salford/Manchester and bizarrely recreated the look of his paintings. The cold weather on a smoking chimney looked great. Bit of magic hour/strange sky and polariser added to this.
Liam - you must be familiar to with Lowry?
I'll add an image some time.

Interesting attempting to capture paintings rather than classic movies - didn't Kubrick attempt this on occasion (Barry Lyndon)?
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Turner

There's a nice piece on Turner running on the Gallery channel on Dish HD (Voom). Interesting painter, had heard of him and seen some work in galleries, but nice to get a mini-bio and see many paintings with background information them.

Of course, they weren't "in the flesh" but as we all know, HD is the next best thing!

As for duplicating his look in video, hmmm, I would hazard that it's something best done in post rather than in camera.

Tip
Tip McPartland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:05 AM   #6
Major Player

Aside from lighting, perhaps Studio Artist might be of use http://www.synthetik.com/
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #7
Inner Circle

"The look" by my personal preference would best be reserved for footage shot as a flashback or re-enactment of the times.

If there is hosted narration and contemporary footage, this would best be in "modern" tones and colour settings.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hart View Post
"The look" by my personal preference would best be reserved for footage shot as a flashback or re-enactment of the times.

If there is hosted narration and contemporary footage, this would best be in "modern" tones and colour settings.
I know what you're getting at Bob, but I don't think you can be too prescriptive when designing a look, especially since we don't know why the original poster is interested in this particular look- it could be for a pop video, a documentary or a commercial. Who knows?
Liam Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #9
New Boot

Turner

Thanks guys, help is much appreciated.

I'l post link to results soon as I'm finished.

Regards
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #10
New Boot

Scene Comparrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Wow... That's a tough one to design in-camera.

I could probably design a scene file that has muted colours with a overall faded sepia tone, but you'd have to do the slight vignetting in post.

You might also want to try a Fog or double Fog filter to emulate the "haziness" in alot of his art, and maybe a Didymium filter to enhance the browns/red/oranges without affecting other colours. Keep some soft ND grads on hand to balance the sky with the ground. You could also use a polarizer.

Tim, your 'warm green' scene file creates a fog effect on the horizon of my location that is similar to that of 'Dawn After The Wreck'. If you were to design a scene file, would it be a similar one to that or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Regards
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scattergood View Post
Interesting attempting to capture paintings rather than classic movies...
Most of the 'great' cinematographers of the past century usually cite classic art (of all genres) as major inspiration.
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lester Mooney View Post
Tim, your 'warm green' scene file creates a fog effect on the horizon of my location that is similar to that of 'Dawn After The Wreck'. If you were to design a scene file, would it be a similar one to that or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Possibly. I think I fashioned the warm green file after the warm-green feel of Amélie. It's been over a year since I made those so I can't even really remember.

I will play with some new looks on both the HD100 and HD250 this month as part of an educational DVD I'm throwing together.
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #13
Major Player

Looking forward to seeing ANY scene files for the 200/250 series from the pros here....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems