Image Inversion Software? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 13th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Image Inversion Software?

I'm want to capture some 720 24p footage from my HD110 / Redrock M2 into FCP Studio. We are using a PowerBook. Is there a good 3rd party software that can re-invert the image upon capture without resolution loss? Thanks.
Jon Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #2
Major Player

re-invert?

There is a plugin for inverting an image in fcp, that would be converting a scan of negative film into a positive image. thats inverting something.

is that what you mean?
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #3
Major Player

I know Cineform Connect HD ($200) on the PC side has a check box for M2 image filip that they developed with Red Rock Micro. On the MAC side I'm not sure if the new public beta version of the Cineform Codec has the capture option or not. www.cineform.com The HDLink capture tool in Connect HD can capture in m2t or Cineform. So if you want to edit native m2t, you can.
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Springer View Post
I'm want to capture some 720 24p footage from my HD110 / Redrock M2 into FCP Studio. We are using a PowerBook. Is there a good 3rd party software that can re-invert the image upon capture without resolution loss? Thanks.
I think he's referring to flipping the image captured by the M2. Any graphic editing app like AE, Combustion, et.al will do. I think resolution loss (/i.e. "quality" loss) is more a matter of work-flow than application.

Try to make sure that you convert to the least lossy codec, and try not to recompress until your final deliverable.
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brown View Post
I think he's referring to flipping the image captured by the M2. Any graphic editing app like AE, Combustion, et.al will do. I think resolution loss (/i.e. "quality" loss) is more a matter of work-flow than application.

Try to make sure that you convert to the least lossy codec, and try not to recompress until your final deliverable.
I just need to invert the upside-down 720 / 24p image created by the HD110 / M2 without loss of resolution. I would obviously like to do this upon capture so that I don't have to apply some effect to the finished edit. I'm not sure if the Cineform software can be used with Mac or FCP.
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
I just need to invert the upside-down 720 / 24p image created by the HD110 / M2 without loss of resolution. I would obviously like to do this upon capture so that I don't have to apply some effect to the finished edit. I'm not sure if the Cineform software can be used with Mac or FCP.
If you are working natively, then the answer is no. You will apply the flip and flop effects accordingly to your clips.

If you are using a intermediate codec and converting m2t files, then MpegStreamclip v1.8 does have the inversion option in he Quicktime export pane.
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Why can't you just apply the effect in FCP? Double click the video, open the Motion tab, and change rotation to 180. Copy the clip. Then for every other clip you put in the timeline, use the Paste Attributes and check mark the rotation option. Then all your video will be flipped right side up.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Carlson View Post
Why can't you just apply the effect in FCP? Double click the video, open the Motion tab, and change rotation to 180. Copy the clip. Then for every other clip you put in the timeline, use the Paste Attributes and check mark the rotation option. Then all your video will be flipped right side up.
It is that simple...180° ? If so, forget what I suggested with flip and flop.

You might even be able to apply it to one clip in a sequence, copy that clip, then paste attributes for basic motion to clips in the source bin.

THey should then be able to play in real-time (if you have enough processing power.)
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #9
Major Player

Yeah, 180º as long as the Redrock only makes the image upside down and not actually backwards. In that case you would have to change the corner pin in the Distort section of the Motion tab.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Doesn't this FCP flip effect cause a loss in resolution, as with other NLE's?
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
If you are working natively, then the answer is no. You will apply the flip and flop effects accordingly to your clips.
But doesn't this necessarily entail a loss of resolution?
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Yeah, 180º as long as the Redrock only makes the image upside down and not actually backwards. In that case you would have to change the corner pin in the Distort section of the Motion tab.
180 degrees is all that is required. I rotate on Vegas and in Premeire all the time.

As far as loss is concerned, if that is a major concern in a particular edit, in Premiere you can capture your entire file, flip it in once in the sequence, then chop it up on the time line using razor cuts, and the flip is already applied on both sides of the cut. Edit, render to final. That actually one unintended benefit in not having scene detection available for HDV in Premeire.

Vegas will work the same way.
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
But doesn't this necessarily entail a loss of resolution?
It is just a re-ordering of the pixels. It will still be 1280x720, no resolution loss.

Maybe you're concerned with added compression. The usual rules for any rendering will apply, regardless of NLE.
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
It is just a re-ordering of the pixels. It will still be 1280x720, no resolution loss.

Maybe you're concerned with added compression. The usual rules for any rendering will apply, regardless of NLE.
I don't know what causes it, all I know is that when I would invert images in Avid Media Composer it would make the image visably softer. I want to know if inverting images in FCP will similarily make that image softer. If so, then what is the work-around solution to inverting images without this residual softness?
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #15
Regular Crew

wait so you mean that there is an issue just trying to flip the image once your ready to edit?
Hayk Paul is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems