Best Way To Shoot Stop Motion On Hd100? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 26th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adair View Post
DSLR workflow:
Don't use FCP! Use Aftereffects, and import them together as a series. Each picture is one frame.
I don't have After Effects.
Scott Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #17
Major Player

Hey man, did you a quick google, here's what you need to do:

http://www.animationsforvideo.com/html/imptsfcp.htm
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #18
Wrangler

Don't use AE or FCP for still image sequence import

There is a very very simple & fast way to open an image sequence and resave it as a quicktime in its native jpeg or tiff format, readable by FCP. No messing around!

Just use Quicktime Pro Player!

-Select "Open Image Sequence" from the file menu and point to the first shot in your sequence. You can use whatever frame rate you want. (23.976 for 24P)

-Then Save As and you can make it a "reference movie." This will only take moments... no recompression.

It will still be 6megapixels or whatever per frame and won't play in real time yet, but you can drop it in your timeline as a single piece of quicktime media and frame it the way you want, zoom in over time, colour correct, etc.... THEN RENDER into your sequence codec. (HDV, AIC, Uncompressed, whatever.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
Tim,

How do you deal with matching stuff with the HD100 footage if you used special files like your bleachbypass.
I've played with the curves function in Nikon Capture for far longer than I've even had a HD100, so I do have some custom scene files saved somewhere for it as well.

However.....
I seldom actually shoot with any of my scene files (JVC or Nikon) other than my "wide-latitude" setting. I tweak it per the scene as needed and try to capture a "digital negative" for post CC. I use the same technique with Digital SLR and then simply match them in post.

I've uploaded a quick sample from a film I shot last year. This started as 6Mpegapixel 3:2 Jpegs, zoomed in FCP and cropped to 720P. Exposure time per frame was 2 seconds (I think.) I've heavily compressed it for upload.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Way To Shoot Stop Motion On Hd100?-picture-35.png  
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #19
Major Player

Wait, are we talking stop motion or time lapse here? Those terms have two different meanings for me, stop motion being an animation technique (where you only take an exposure when you have the next frame of animation set up) and time lapse being a live action technique characterized by ultra-slow (but regular) frame rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
I've uploaded a quick sample from a film I shot last year.
"For this shot, you have to keep kissing this hot chick for a couple minutes."
"Oh, the sacrifices I make for my art."

How'd you handle the wardrobe changes? Did you manage to squeeze them into those moments the chairs are empty or is there a cut in there somewhere?
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen View Post
Wait, are we talking stop motion or time lapse here? Those terms have two different meanings for me, stop motion being an animation technique (where you only take an exposure when you have the next frame of animation set up) and time lapse being a live action technique characterized by ultra-slow (but regular) frame rates.
Either way, time-lapse or stop-motion animation he'd still be better off with a DSLR. Particularly one with an interval timer built in (D200). You've just got so much more control over the exposure and a far greater resolution.

Quote:
How'd you handle the wardrobe changes?
With that technique they could have stopped for dinner or come back the next day.

Liam.
Old March 27th, 2007, 03:10 AM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen View Post
The workflow for importing frames would be exactly the same for either technique, and I still recommend DSLR for either one.

I manually used an IR remote for that setup BTW, no laptop.
Wardrobe changes were no big deal - only a few minutes each. Controlled lighting and patience were all that was necessary.
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Tim, how do I save more than one file at a time rather than choosing each individual shot when I have hundreds of them in one folder?
Scott Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems