Power Anyone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 8th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #1
Major Player

Power Anyone?

I've got a general question regarding Anton Bauer vs. IDX - which one? I see some price/watt issues, some run time differences, some much bigger price differences - but what about longevity? Which battery system will perform, in the long, the best? I think that's my requirement. Sure, lighter is good, but lighter and 100 charges less? Maybe not...

Last edited by Jeffrey Butler; April 9th, 2007 at 07:57 AM. Reason: it's iDx, idiot. not iVx...
Jeffrey Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Major Player

You will get more hits with IDX
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad Meouchy View Post
You will get more hits with IDX
Ouch. I knew that. What was I thinking!?
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Butler View Post
Where's the thread/forum for power needs? I found one thread with IVX in there; I must be missing something....

I've got a general question regarding Anton Bauer vs. IVX - which one? I see some price/watt issues, some run time differences, some much bigger price differences - but what about longevity? Which battery system will perform, in the long, the best? I think that's my requirement. Sure, lighter is good, but lighter and 100 charges less? Maybe not...
If your talking about the difference between AB mounts and the Sony V-Mount, really the only difference you will find is if you use a different battery technology--aka Ni-MH vs Li-Ion (at least this is my understanding of it) A AB mount 90 watt Li-Ion should give you the same runtime and charge cycles as a IDX v-mount 90 watt Li-Ion. The only difference is the style of mount (there might be other things like microprocessors, but the basic BATTERY is the same.)

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

Matthew Rogers
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Rogers View Post
The only difference is the style of mount (there might be other things like microprocessors, but the basic BATTERY is the same.)
Most likely, the AB, IDX, and knockoff batteries use the exact same LiIon cells inside. The only unquestionable difference is the control circuitry. Dionics have fancy circuitry inside to measure power in/out and provide information like how many power cycles the battery has been through. This allows the expensive AB chargers to optimize their process. Of course no matter how fancy the charger, the cells just won't last forever.

I recently received some Comer digital batteries that are basically identical to the Dionics. One of the batteries is 190Wh, which is almost 20% more capacity than a dionic 160. I am still testing them and will post up my verdict when ready.

Unless you want the fancy HD100 integration with the dionics, save your money and get the IDX or knockoff.
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad Meouchy View Post
Unless you want the fancy HD100 integration with the dionics, save your money and get the IDX or knockoff.
That's a good reason, I suppose. Waiting 20 minutes instead of 40 to charge a battery (because it can read the actual charge) could add up (and I'm making those numbers up). I do favor the integration w/ a sun gun that will shut off when not rolling and fire back up when rolling. That's what I like about the AB setup w/ light. Sounds like IDX can do the same w/ the PowerLink feature, though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems