FCP Capture issues with HD250 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 18th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #1
Major Player

FCP Capture issues with HD250

I'm trying to find the optimum setting for Final Cut Pro for capturing from the HD250. Currently there are two ways, each seemingly troubled.

First - capture using Apple's Int. Codec. - this is fine, except there's a native HDV24(30)p codec which I'd rather use. Using that codec, however, is producing (at least in that workflow) some shot related errors on capture (capture now).

The capture using AIC pops up a big window and just starts capping away - no issues. The HDV 24p setting (shot in 24p) (as well as 30p) barfs at each shot. If I change the prefs to say "create new clip" (on timecode break) it keeps capturing, but waits almost 4 seconds into the new shot before it starts again. There is no time code break. The tape seems to be fine.

Why the breaks at each shot? Could it be deck control? Is there a setting I can use to get around having to either miss the first of the shot or capture each by hand? If this is standard then I'm using AIC, as it just chugs along fine. I bet iMovieHD doesn't care about the start/stop marks, either.

So what's up with that? There's got to be something simple going on.

To recap: shooting 720/24p; firewire to FCP; using Easy Setup HDV 720/24p; stops at each shot break. I really need to make sure this is in post and not because of how I'm shooting. I was using Regen, then switched to Rec (timecode) thinking that might be it, but it doesn't seem to have mattered.
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Jey Jeffrey,

I've been using FCP 5, and the HD100, recording multi-camera shoots, and of course ran into the same trouble, I would normaly use HDVxDV, and second I began using my 800 firewire port, this really helped me there. I shot continuasly, if you did not you should use HDVXDV, the long process... Good Luck

Manny
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Manny

Could you expand on the fw800 connection?

How do you make the connection?

In what way does it improve capture?
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Or even better...

If you really want to get around the majority of issues on FCP and most other issues relating to what to do once you've shot your masterpiece on the JVC, go out and invest in a DR-HD100. Everything is done for you. It doesn't seem to matter what camera you use as the Editing systems seem to take forever to catch up with the technology. By shooting direct to HDD gives you a lot more piece of mind and makes the whole journey of putting the footage onto your system simple. I know it feels like there is always new expenses to look at when technology is pumped up but in my opinion I like to get the best stuff for the best results. Worth the money.
Matt Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:10 AM   #5
Major Player

Matt, could you describe the workflow with the DR-HD100?

Does it capture 25P?Also, is it a simple matter of just bringing the files into the FCP?

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM   #6
Trustee

you can try reverting to FCP5.1.2 which may be less picky than 5.1.4 if you can find the 5.1.2 updater

if you had no 24P I'd go back to FCP5.0.4 which has fewer capture issues and generally works ok with 30P. you can also use a kona or decklink card to capture the analog outs to DVCpro100. not ideal, but it will work, although FW control won't work - at least I;ve never gotten it to work, others claim they have.

complain to apple at

http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

let them know *politely* how import this is to be fixed. the more complaints, the better chance it will be fixed.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Robert

Robert,

Go check it out at http://www.focusinfo.com/solutions/catalog.asp?id=149

Also search this forum for everything you need to know. That's what made me buy this little beauty.
Matt Norman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems