First HD110 shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 2nd, 2007, 06:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

First HD110 shoot

I find myself in a bit of a risky position. I just ordered a JVC HD110 to arrive Thursday, Saturday I have to shoot a piece on an Ultra Challenge (athletes running and climbing 5 peaks). This means I need to be out with the camera away from support for a LONG day (12+ hours).

I have never used the camera before so I don't know what kinds of problems I might run into.

I did not spring for the AB or IDX battery package. Is that a huge mistake?
What other things should I be aware of? I'll only have one day to test and practice with the camera.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Marion Abrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 08:10 PM   #2
Major Player

hd 110

Hello:
what batt. are you going to use for the shoot?
if you are using the JVC stock battery the 428, run time is only about 40 mins
the 438 is 60 mins
i hope it all works out for you
good luck
thank you
joe
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 10:32 PM   #3
Major Player

ouch!

Well make sure you use TC3, it'll transform your camera into a different beast, you can get it under the sticky thread here. Also there are other good presets from Tim and Stephen which will also make a washed out stock standard image into something better.
There's no single camera battery that will last you 12hours, especially not the stock JVC, so if your in a corner, see if you can go out and hire at least 2 decent batteries and charger (and their conversion plates so they can be used on the camera) so one can charge whilst you use the other.
Use you peaking and focus assist at all times, don't trust your lcd/evf for correct exposure, use the zebra's, which means you will be using peaking instead of focus assist as FA turns doesn't work with zebra's.
Best of Luck
Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Power's your biggest issue. Even an enormous AB brick only lasts about 3 hours. Find a way to hook a battery charger into your car or something.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 03:50 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Abrams View Post
I did not spring for the AB or IDX battery package.
Oh my god! and you are planning a 12+ hr. shoot in the wilderness with no electricity to even charge those small stock batteries?

You need to rent a power system for your camera. IDX or A/B is fine. Get at least 3 big batteries. If you have AC power at the shoot, you can cycle the batteries, charging one while using the others.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 04:14 AM   #6
Major Player

Hire (or borrow) a battery kit. Either that or enjoy the walk.

Liam.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems