Read-outs on external monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 12th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #1
New Boot

Read-outs on external monitor

Hi,
Please forgive my ignorance, I have failed to find an obvious answer to my question by searching...
I am using a HD-100 with a Steadicam Flyer and I would like to know if it is possible to view things like frame lines, center cross, shutter speed, etc. in the Flyer monitor. The camera and the monitor are connected via composite. I have failed to find a menu option for this, but curiously the menu is output to the Flyer monitor. So can I do this?
Thanks!
Tim Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #2
Wrangler

Unfortunately the original HD100 cameras cannot output superimposed information other than the menus.
This was one of the main items on our wishlist and JVC added the ability to toggle VF data to the video outputs on the HD110, HD200 and HD250.
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #3
New Boot

Ah, too bad.
Thanks for the confirmation!
Tim Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Unfortunately the original HD100 cameras cannot output superimposed information other than the menus.
This was one of the main items on our wishlist and JVC added the ability to toggle VF data to the video outputs on the HD110, HD200 and HD250.
How do you friggin get that info going out on a 110? I did a shoot the other day which that would have been useful for, but all they could see was the menu when I switched the setting I believe is the output setting. I've also set the battery to display "time" left instead of voltage, but it still displays voltage..sigh

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #5
Major Player

Hello
the battery display
will only show time if you are using Anton Bauer battery system

joe
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Rogers View Post
How do you friggin get that info going out on a 110? I did a shoot the other day which that would have been useful for, but all they could see was the menu when I switched the setting I believe is the output setting. I've also set the battery to display "time" left instead of voltage, but it still displays voltage..sigh

Matthew
Were you using component HD, or composite SD?

It should work with the output setting turned on, at least on the composite SD output. I could be wrong though. I don't have a HD110 sitting in front of me to test this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph A. Benoit View Post
Hello
the battery display
will only show time if you are using Anton Bauer battery system

joe
Specifically, an Anton Bauer battery that can 'talk' with the camera. (Dionic 90 for example.) A third party battery (even AB gold mount) like Swit will only give you a voltage reading.
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Were you using component HD, or composite SD?

It should work with the output setting turned on, at least on the composite SD output. I could be wrong though. I don't have a HD110 sitting in front of me to test this.

Specifically, an Anton Bauer battery that can 'talk' with the camera. (Dionic 90 for example.) A third party battery (even AB gold mount) like Swit will only give you a voltage reading.
Weird, I was using composite SD to a JVC monitor. I will have to look more through the manual to see if there is another setting that does it.

It seems like I did know that only the AB batteries could talk with the camera, but forgot it. I wonder why the camera can't figure out how much time is left off the voltage..it really should be able to calculate the power draw and then figure it out from there..sigh...

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 08:07 AM   #8
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Rogers View Post
Weird, I was using composite SD to a JVC monitor. I will have to look more through the manual to see if there is another setting that does it.

It seems like I did know that only the AB batteries could talk with the camera, but forgot it. I wonder why the camera can't figure out how much time is left off the voltage..it really should be able to calculate the power draw and then figure it out from there..sigh...

Matthew
The AB batteries that work have digital hardware built in to them that monitors voltage drop and current draw against pre-determined limits. Sony has a similar system in their info lithium range. Problem with incorporating this stuff in a camera is that the camera has no way of knowing how big the battery is, when that particular brand/type stops supplying enough energy and what other peripherals you have drawing current from your battery.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems