I'm a PC (Vegas), should I not consider the HM100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old May 5th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #1
Trustee

I'm a PC (Vegas), should I not consider the HM100

I was drooling over a Panny HMC150, when I heard about the HM100. I had some questions about this camera, which seems pretty exciting.

1. Is this an XDCAM format like the 700, or is it just Quicktime?

2. Anyone using Vegas care to share their experience/tips?

3. How is JVC gear's reliability compared to Sony, Panny and Canon? How is JVC service in comparison?

4. Anyone own both the HMC150 and HM100? If so, could you compare image quality?

Thanks
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
I was drooling over a Panny HMC150, when I heard about the HM100. I had some questions about this camera, which seems pretty exciting.

1. Is this an XDCAM format like the 700, or is it just Quicktime?

2. Anyone using Vegas care to share their experience/tips?

3. How is JVC gear's reliability compared to Sony, Panny and Canon? How is JVC service in comparison?

4. Anyone own both the HMC150 and HM100? If so, could you compare image quality?

Thanks
The HM-100 does MOV and MP4 format you have to use Clip browser to convert he files to MXF for Sony Vegas
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

When Vegas 9 ships in six days, it will read the mp4/mxf file format natively, no need for the sony clip browser. But for 8 and earlier, yes need the free Sony clip browser.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Major Player

Actually, you can get away without using the clip browser. If you install the Calibrated Software's XD Decode (80 bucks or so) you can drop the .mov files right into the Vegas timeline. I use Vegas Pro 8.0 and did it with HM700 .mov successfully. Works like a breeze. The Vegas 9.0 upgrade promises full XDCAM support but I wasn´t yet able to verify if that means you can use HM100 .mp4 files natively too. From the sample clips I have seen I would expect the HM100 to be much better than the Panny (except for low light situation maybe). But even if the picture quality is about equal, to work with the Panny files is a real pain in the butt and it is so much bigger than the JVC... That are the deciding factors for me. Now BH finally finally must come through and get me an HM100...
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

B&H says they are in stock now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems