Weird Audio Phasing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old October 10th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Weird Audio Phasing

I use a HM100 with a Rode NTG-1 shotgun mic, set to auto gain

i noticed on a recent shoot that i'm now editing, with headphones you can hear what i can only describe as phasing

it's as if the internal mic is on because camera moves cause a definite change in phase, which almost gives you a headache after a while

is the internal mic definitely bypassed with a 48v mic plugged in? or is there a setting?
Marty Mulholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Marty.

If the camera itself is not at fault, maybe there is a feedback going on between your headphones and the Rode mike which is pretty sensitive if you are using it close to the camera.

I don't know the new camera so cannot comment on whether the internal mike and external mike can both be selected active together.

Auto gain on each channel might be slightly different in attack and release times. Does the effect go away if you select the channel output to the headphones to be mixed or "mono".

If you are splitting a single channel feed to two channels and have separate auto gain on both of those channels or selected "on" for just one as a method of bracketting your levels for safety, you might also get that effect.

Take more notice of people smarter than me who comment in reply.

Last edited by Bob Hart; October 10th, 2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems