Just Bought the jvc gy-hm100 needs some help again! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old January 11th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Just Bought the jvc gy-hm100 needs some help again!

Hey everyone, a real quick thanks to all the members here for all your suggestions and advice. I just picked the hm-100 for 2360, not bad. Now, here's the questions. I'll be shooting some apartment and real estate ads, and I'm getting used to setting gamma detail and various other settings. I'm used to my old sony dcr-pc5 in full auto, so yes I have alot to learn but I love this stuff. Also, just picked up final cut as well.

So, until I know better, I plan on showing my work on you tube- so 720/24 seems to be the best route or not please chime in. I'll be going full auto, and with a led on board light it should work. So, as I learn is there any magical settings that anyone can recommend, and yes I will learn how to shoot manual eventually , so any great recipes in manual mode please chime in.

Now, next question. Final cut 7. I'm ok on Imovie, please laugh. My last real nle was premier 5. I can get the files from the card into fc and start projects etc. So is there any real good book or learning series that anyone recommend, don't have time for school and the 3 day courses are $900+ Several years ago I would pay editors to teach me and I might do that again. I know fc will automatically detect the codec and since it's a .mov file its a no brainer. But is there any recipes to load better codecs for .mov just wondering. Thanks again everyone.
Matt Maglodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have found setting your AE to -1 or -2 will help on overexposure in Automodes.

Don't forget to use the ND Filter in daylight, even if you are in full Auto.

I am not sure if setting the DETAIL to -5 or -7 in manual mode, then going back to Automode still retains the DETAIL setting, but you should tryit.
Andy Urtusuastegui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ken Stone's Final Cut Pro pages are well worth spending a day or three in :)

Ken Stone's Final Cut Pro

Cheers
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2011, 06:52 PM   #4
New Boot

I actually learned a lot using the Apple Pro Training series book for Final Cut Pro. Even an older version of the book will work. I learned Final Cut Pro 6 using the book for Final Cut Pro 5 (it was a real steal at half-price books for 9.99). I've seen some good deals on Ebay, as well.

Anyway, the pro training books come with a disk full of final cut files with footage to go through the lessons with. Very hands-on stuff. Big believer in that curriculum.

Hope that helps
David E.
David Elsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks everyone, I'm getting better everyday. I think I will try the Apple Pro Training series book. The camera takes great video and pictures. I'm learning to really get good quality 24p stuff, its best to have lots of light and high shutter speeds- anyway thanks for all the tips...
Matt Maglodi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems