Gearing up for the JVC GY-HM700 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old February 18th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Gearing up for the JVC GY-HM700

I haven't even put the new JVC GY-HM700 in my hands yet but from the reviews I've been reading I'm impressed. My problem is after coming up through the Canon XL line for the last several years (XL1s, then XL2, now XLH1a) I own very little gear that will work with the JVC besides a tripod/head combo and maybe a soft case. What I really would like is to get some feedback from JVC 100/200/250 series owners who have actually shot/traveled with/used this camera in a real world setting to help me build a "wish list" if you will of gear I would need to make the jump to this camera.

If you could point me in the right direction on some gear I can get an idea as to just how expensive this transition would be. As usual, I value your opinion and the time you take to help a fellow shooter out. Part numbers or links would be appreciated. Thank you.

So far after reading post after post on the JVC forum I think I'll need:

Power Options
I'm familiar with Anton Bauer Dionic 90 batteries and chargers used on a Sony XDCAM I shot last fall on several assignments. I'm not opposed to the IDX line, just leaning toward going with a product I've worked with before.

What kind of life can I expect out of these batteries, in hours?
How many do you have for your kit?
What about chargers? Single, dual, quad?
Do I have to add a special mounting plate?

Lens Control
Obviously my LANC controller will not work so what do you suggest?
I only want to control the servo zoom, not focus.

Tripod base plate
I'll need one so which one should I consider?

On camera lighting
Would like to utilize a power tap to power a good ENG light that's dimmable.

If you can think of anything I might have missed please let me know. Thanks again.
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I'm a 200U owner (2 of them). I run Dionic90s and get about3.5 - 4.5 hours of mixed run/standby time. I own 3 Dionic90s for two cameras and use the Titan charger/AC power. For oncamera light, I use the powertap to power an AB UltraLight2 (NON-Dimmable) with a wide angle adaptor and a dichroic filter (both flipaway).

I have the stock 16x5.5 Fujinon so I use an old Fuji lens controller that I've had around for years. Depending on which lens you get (I assume you'll want the Canon but there ARE rumblings that it might be a step up lens...), Varizoom has some very reasonable priced lens controllers for pro lenses.

The mounting plate is the same as Sony broadcast cameras. JVC makes their own and I use them.

I'd also suggest a camera case. I own a KATA CC-197 and I'm pretty thrilled with it.

I AM looking at one of the "smart" AB chargers to keep my investment in batteries up to snuff. The Dionic90s meet FAA flight rules for lith-ion batteries and are rated at under 8 grame ELC (equivalent lithium content) if you need to fly with the camera. This allows unrestricted numbers of Dionic90s (in carry on luggage only) whereas the Dionic 160's are governed by the two battery rule.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help you out with any more info.
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Major Player

The HD series came with an Anton Bauer mounting plate. The IDX power packages for the camera included a mounting plate, and were quite a bit cheaper. I got IDX, but use both. For the IDX v-mount, there are a number of other 3rd party battery choices. Both plates include the industry standard "D-tap" for running camera mounted lights, wireless etc. I have a splitter, and run my firewire hardrive recorder from that too sometimes. I get by with 2 good batteries and a dual charger. I have a backup used battery I throw in the kit if I think I might run long on DC. I also have belts with 4 pin xlr. I use the Litepanel LED for on-camera light (dimmable). Expensive, but great solution - I'm sure cheaper alternatives are available now, but they were on of the first in this arena.

Zoom controllers are from a well established pro standard for broadcast lenses. Canon and Fujinon have slightly different protocols though. I also use a vintage fujinon controller on my fuji 17x lens. Varizoom is a fine option. Just remember that there may be issues when changing brands of lens.

The tripod mounting plate was an expensive but required option for the JVC's. On the 250's they included it with a package. My dealer got one for me at cost when I made a large purchase, since I balked at the over $200 price. The 700 has the toeplate in place, and should be perfectly compatible with Sony or other plates. Or it might be included in a package.

I'm still thinking how to make the transition myself. I'd be happy to keep my IDX power kit and 17x lens, but not sure who'd buy the camera without those items. Anyone bust their HD100?
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well my order's in for one of the HM700's (I think it comes in on Friday!), and I'm going to be getting the Switronix AB-compatible batteries for now. It ended up being about half the price for the Switronix+charger vs. Anton Bauer+charger.

You could also look at the new Switronix TorchLED lights:
Switronix - Products
review: CineTechnica
Once I have the funds I think I'm also going to get one of these.

The JVC base plate is the KA551U, runs about $270 or so.

I also heard that when the Canon 14x comes out, the price on the 17x Fujinon's going to go up a bit.
David Petersen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems