Where to buy in Canada at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old March 27th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Where to buy in Canada

Hello all,
I am looking at getting the JVC HM 700. I live in Alberta and I was just wondering where is the best place to buy the camera. This is my first time buying a camera and I am just worried about the fees to get it across the border, if I buy from the states. How does where you buy it from affect the warranty and servicing of the camera? I have looked at B&H in NYC and I liked their price. Just worried about servicing, warranty and extra costs.
Calvin Bellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Out of respect for the DVI sponsors I will just indicate that your "local" dealer is in Calgary and Edmonton and is the pro dealer most commonly mentioned in Alberta. NAIT just bought a bunch.

I bring mine in from Hamilton, Ontario.
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #3
Major Player

So cryptic...what about Red Deer? I appreciate you respecting the sponsers. I was hoping that this thread wouldn't be an ad against them.
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
I bring mine in from Hamilton, Ontario.
Me too. I always recommend you speak to Pete Bauce or Mike Vandersteen at Hamilton Video & Sound for customers in Central & Eastern Canada. In Western Canada I recommend John Anthony out of CineLine West in Vancouver.

We are in the process of serving HVS's banner to Canadian dvinfo.net members, it just isn't in place yet.

Make sure you tell them you heard about them through dvinfo or me.
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #5
Major Player

I really liked the one in Hamilton because they can service the camera. I would like to buy in province though. Any good ones in Alberta. You can email me if you would like
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Tim, I wasn't aware of the deal being struck.

Yes, Peter and Mike from HVS have saved my ample posterior several times already and I can say nothing but GLOWING things about them.
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Major Kudos for Peter & Mike at HVS

Calvin,

Along with Tim and Shaun, let me add my STRONG endorsement of the guys at Hamilton Video & Sound! As someone who made the move into ProHD 4 yrs ago and has purchased multiple JVC HD cameras, two DR-100's and a BR-50 deck, among other things, from Peter and Mike, they have been amazing with their after-purchase support and will go the extra mile to expedite repairs or warranty service with the amazing Mr. Choi at JVC Canada whenever that is needed.

I’ve heard stories about penny-pinching Canadians who have purchased large-ticket items from the US only to get hit with huge import duties not to mention their constant headaches in getting after-sale support and warranty service handled expeditiously.

I know the guys at HVS have provided excellent service to many professionals and aspiring pros all across Canada, so if you can’t find something suitable in your region, the courier costs are more than worth the out-of-province inconvenience.
Michael Lafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #8
New Boot

Finally, a Canadian retailer! I've been looking for a while now for for some place in Canada that plans on selling the HM100. I thought I'd have to go to Toronto to find some place to purchase the HM100 but no more. I've been concerned about warranty issues and duty if I was to purchase the camera from the US. As a bonus, it's only about a 45 minute drive and they offer service incase anything breaks.

Thank you all.
Justin Terreberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #9
Inner Circle

HVS Fanboy con't...

I should also point out that I've never met Pete or Mike, never been to the HVS store and completed my first order SOLELY by e-mail for my first HD200U camera. I've spoken to both Pete and Mike on the phone now numerous times but I can honestly say I've received better service from people 2000 kms from me than I was getting from local retailers (on another major product line).

I'm trying to work a visit to HVS into a road trip down to Ottawa this summer just to say hi.
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:11 PM   #10
Wrangler

HVS received shipment of some HM700s today. Our production company bought one with the 17x lens this afternoon. Picking it up tomorrow.

Now I'll be able to do some comparison shots with the 17x.
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:27 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
HVS received shipment of some HM700s today. Our production company bought one with the 17x lens this afternoon. Picking it up tomorrow.

Now I'll be able to do some comparison shots with the 17x.
Sounds great! Over here on the east coast I won't be able to get my hands on one until at the earliest Friday... look forward to seeing your tests.
David Petersen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems