HM700 vs EX3 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old November 28th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #31
Regular Crew

I'm getting two...

To see the images, I defer to Phil Bloom's outstanding review...

Review of JVC GY-HM 700 By Philip Bloom On ExposureRoom

After watching it I was intrigued enough to demo a JVC 700 for a day and I was very impressed by the performance. It has the best form factor out there of any comparably priced camera, including the HPX 300. Why? Well, unlike the 300, the GY-HM700 is a mid-sized shoulder mount camera, not a full-sized like the 300. It's well balanced, lighter and doesn't leave you with a sore shoulder at the end of the day.

To me the awkward ergonomics of the ex3 and the format knocked it out of contention early on. I loved the image, but do I have to suffer to get it?

Also, remember that with the GY-HM700 you can also shoot mp4 to either SXS OR the SDHC cards, for those jobs that require a format other than .mov.

I'm taking delivery on a 700 this week, then a second the following week AND we already have a GY-HM100 (whcih we love) for those tight spots. I'll post some video when things calm down a bit.
Lou Caputo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #32
Regular Crew

I like the formfactor of the HM700, but the
EX3 got rollingshutter and isn't a shoulder cam.

One thing for the HM700, is the recording
on SDHC-cards, I can carry them in a Kata BP502
backbag with all my equipment.
The LCD-Display is really great and sharper
then on HPX300/301.
I can record in .mov and edit it native without
transcoding, the resolution is much bettet then
the HPX301, the colourresolution is better then
HDV and quite good as the AVC-Intra from the Hpx301.

There are a lot more things that speaks for
the HM700.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #33
Major Player

I had a look at the review from Pil Bloom. Thanks for the link. The images looked really good and crisp.

What about the ND- filters. Do you find them limiting? Tim Dashwood writes in his review that they may be insufficient if you are to film in the desert or snow. Would I need a mattebox as well?
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Nd?

Well, I live and work in Florida, so if there's a need for more ND, I'll find out pretty quickly. Worst case scenario is you buy a screw mount ND filter and drop it in when needed. That, or buy a matte box...

I'll check it out next week when our first camera gets delivered and post my findings here.
Lou Caputo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #35
Regular Crew

In some cases you need more ND, but when I got not enough ND I used to shorten the shutter for one scene.
Old November 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svein Rune Skilnand View Post
It has been a while since this thread was active, but here I go.

I bought an EX3 because of the 1/2 inch chip size and picture quality. After doing so, I since had the opportunity to test an HM700, but with the stock 16x lens.

The images were not quite up there with the EX3, but overall feel and build and actually it`s lowlight capability, not a bad camera at all. Guess what, I really liked the camera.

The EX3 produces beautiful images. But I feel somewhat restricted to using it just on a tripod beacuse of it`s heavy front. When I have to use it handheld I am struggling more over a long period of time. I do a lot of documentary stuff, where there is no time to set up the camera. So this has made me think. I want a shouldermounted camera, having made me looking at various options for doing so. I have been in touch with DM- accessories and looked into the Protech shouldermount as well. But I am torned between spending money on such kind of accessories or sell my camera and just buy a shouldermounted cam.

So I tested the HPX301. Wonderful camera, excellent on the shoulder, broadcast quality and professional features. Good in lowlight as well, but then I`d have to buy into the P2 workflow, consuming more harddrive space as well. And I still liked the images from the EX3 better.

So I am back to the camera that has impressed me the most, between the 3. And that is looking at the total package and workflow and accessories available witout buying adapters, converters, batteryplates, D. taps for lights and so on.

The HM700. It has the complete package at a reasonable price and offers so much. It is shouldermounted, does not have to spend my money there. It has a D- tap for lights, does not have to buy a light with separate battery and it mounts on professional tripodplates as well. The EX3 does not. I find that my EX3 is somewhat unstable on my tripod.

Still, what would you do? Would you keep the EX3 and upgrade it with a shouldermount, batteryplate and so on, or sell it, to buy the HM700 and spend the money on better tripods, microphones etc.

I honestly don`t know what to do. I have been thinking about it for a while and can`t decide. I also have to say, that I am going to Africa in 45 days and will do a lot of handheld shots, travelling fast, with no time to setup properly. I will be filming a desert rally.

Thansk for any input on this matter.

Svein Rune
Sounds to me like you should just get the JVC. Your posts subtly tell me that you are probably going to be most happy with that camera.

It seems to fulfill your criteria best. Just as some people will choose other cameras for whatever reasons (I currently have the Canon XL H1s and love it... I returned the EX1 because of form factor), you should go with whatver fulfills your needs the most.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:04 PM   #37
Major Player

Thanks for your inputs once again.

Mike, I actually think you are right. Problem is, I really like the picture quality of the EX3, but not the formfactor and the aforementioned.

Lou, I`d appreciate it if you would post your findings. I spoke to JVC yesterday, and he said the exact same thing. If you find teh NDs insufficient, there is always the possibilty of adding an ND- filter.

I also asked him which lens he would recommend, and he said that the optics in the 14X Canon were the best, for this price range.

Interestingly enough, JVC had never gotten a clear answer from Fujinon, whether their 16x and 17x lenses, were infact "true" HD- lenses. He said someone once mentioned that they were HDV- resolution only. But no deffinate answer. The 13X however is supposed to be a real good performer.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:12 PM   #38
Regular Crew

the 13x Fujinon is really good for HD.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:56 AM   #39
Major Player

Here's a question - I currently have an HPX500, which I really like (I love the P2 cards BTW)... I shoot documentaries almost exclusively handheld, and I'm 65...

My right eye has been getting worse and last week my eye doc recommended using my left eye at the finder instead of my right until I can get surgery (6 months to a year for reasons I won't go into) - a difficult proposition w/ the 500, but not impossible...

How would the 700 be with left eye use? (I don't use LCDs much).. How adjustable is the finder?
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Hi Steve, do you use the standard viewfinder on the HPX500.

The new viewfinder on the HM700 is really sharp, but the sharpest is the lcd-screen,
in some situations is it helpful to use the lcd-screen with the focus-assist.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:45 PM   #41
Tourist

HM700 vs EX3

Steve,

Unlike the EX3, the HM700's viewfinder has a very large lateral adjustment range and is well suited for left eyed use. I wear glasses and am a "left eyed shooter" myself. I've found the HM700 to be very comfortable and well balanced when used in the shoulder mounted mode.
Steven Auerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #42
Major Player

Thanks for the responses... I have the "aftermarket" 16x9 finder on the 500 (I forget the #) which I have modified to sit forward 1 1/2" for better balance.. I've designed a plate to also move it to the left, but it's starting to get to be awkward and won't fit in the case...

I had a chance to look at a 700 a few weeks ago, but I didn't take my eye situation into account at the time - I used my right.. I'm going to try to check one out again soon...

It was Betty Davis who said "Getting old isn't for sissies!".
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems