HD200 or HM700? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old September 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD200 or HM700?

I'm in the process of trying to decide which camera to buy and would appreciate any insights/comments from anyone who has used either camera.

Option 1: GY-HD200 with the DR-HD100 HDD. As an old "Tape" guy I like the idea of a tape backup and then being able to import the HDD footage directly into FCP7.

Option 2: GY-HM700 - this would bring me kicking and screaming into the "Tapeless" age. I like a lot of the features listed in the literature but I have read in other forums that there were problems with FCP usage as it is touted in the lit, especially that the QuickTime file format the camera produces cannot be edited in FCP "ProRes" without long render times.

Any experience you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Dan Magnafichi; September 30th, 2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
Dan Magnafichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I use the HM700 since the end of June and I like (and love) to work with my HM700,
I use FinalCutPro 5.2 and it works when I edit direct in XDCAM EX-Codec.
When I use ProRes422 it takes time to render! Or another way, you transcode the files to ProRes during the night and edit it on the next morning, that will be also a good workflow for you, when you want to work in ProRes.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #3
New Boot

why would you want to convert to prores when final cut can already handle the XDCAM EX-Codec. If final cut works with XDCAM EX-Codec why would you spend the time coverting?
Alex Hawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Because many people want to work in ProRes
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems