JVC HM700... noise only on old cameras? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old November 6th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Major Player

JVC HM700... noise only on old cameras?

A friend of mine bought an HM700 like mine. Mine is one of the first ones (so old I couldn't upgrade the firmware) and his is quite new. We put them side by side. All settings to 0. DNR off. Everything the same (lenses, etc..). Result:
Mine has less blacks, less colour and more noise and a slight "greener" white balance.
I remember in the first weeks, I told the reseller, the assistance and even on this same forum about the noise and everybody told me that is normal with JVC PRO series, GY 200 was the same .. etc..
What should I think now? Anybody was able to notice some differences?
M
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Like you, I have one of the first HM700's on the street. Mine came with the Fujinon lens because the Canon lens that was supposed to come with it wasn't ready yet. However, I've been able to upgrade mine without a problem. Twice now. I've not heard of any HM700 not being upgradable. I would suggest you're going wrong somewhere and need to review and understand the upgrade proceedure.

I've posted a couple of examples of my work here that was shot with my HM700 and the results are terrific.

Don Smith
NewsVideo.com
Donald Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Major Player

I got it with Fujinon 16x (not 17x) because JVC Italy had no Fujinon17x and ws selling it like that all in bundle with Sxs. I did the first upgrade (SDHC clas10) but I can't do the 2nd (MP4 without SxS and DNR improved). JVC confirmes I can't and that it has to be sent to them. In any case my side by side test was with 2 cameras same lenses and DNR off so this should not be an upgrade problem but an "old CCD" or similar problem
Old November 8th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli View Post
...Mine is one of the first ones (so old I couldn't upgrade the firmware)...
If you can't update the firmware yourself then you will have to contact your local JVC service facility.
All of the cameras should be able to have their firmware updated, but it is possible that different revisions will require some other form of servicing to accomplish it.
Old November 8th, 2009, 04:33 AM   #5
Major Player

I will.. but the guy already said on the phone that he can't do much.. There is no firmware upgrade for mine.. so either he has to change the chip (difficult!) or I have to stay with what I have
M
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #6
New Boot

When I got mine I noticed a bit of noise,even without any gain added, but after following the advice here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-h...-gy-hm700.html

The noise factor went down quite nicely. ( I try to stay away from the gain switch, or no more then -9 cause it does start looking nasty very quickly )

I also have one of the first ( And I usually wait 6 months for new stuff!...but I didn't want to deal with tape at all..and Panasonic's cards are way too much! ) soooo.

Mine is also wanting me to send it in to JVC...cheee! I am waiting for a call back from my cam dealer shop to see if they can possibly do it there..we'll see..

All in all, I like this cam,
Julius Kuziemski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #7
Major Player

I f you refer to this advice...

Detail NORMAL
Master black -1
Black Toe STRETCH, Lev 3
Knee MANUAL 80%
DNR OFF

that was mine! (check the name of the poster)

Still I don't understand why with same settings the older one is worse
M
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems