HM700 Workflow Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old November 11th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HM700 Workflow Questions

OK, some questions from the "tapeless" newbie. My new HM700 should be here any day now and I hope you guys can help me with a few workflow issues.

1. Much of my work will be shooting short interviews with multiple subjects and then appropriate B-Roll. Is there some way to name and number the clips as I record to give me a clue as to which is Interview (and possibly who) and which is B-Roll for when I import into FCP?

2. If I want to re-use a card on a different shoot do I need to erase the previous files first? And how do I do that? Or...

3. Do I just record over the first footage? And if so, if the card was not completely full will it start the new clips at the end of the previous clips or will it record over the previous clips.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old dog trying to learn new tricks.
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Major Player

1. Much of my work will be shooting short interviews with multiple subjects and then appropriate B-Roll. Is there some way to name and number the clips as I record to give me a clue as to which is Interview (and possibly who) and which is B-Roll for when I import into FCP?

In HM100 you can manually enter file name for each clip- that is while the card is in camera. I usually do it as I log the clips on import into FCP

2. If I want to re-use a card on a different shoot do I need to erase the previous files first? And how do I do that? Or...
If the card is not full you can just continue shooting. I usually try to store on HDD as soon as possible, so if the card fails my footage is on the drive. However I stopped doing it on location, get enough cards to shoot the whole day. Human error is the major factor and if the footage gets lost (which happens), it's mostly due to human error. So log your footage when you are not rushed.

3. Do I just record over the first footage? And if so, if the card was not completely full will it start the new clips at the end of the previous clips or will it record over the previous clips.

No it will not record over old clips. You can reformat your card in- camera through menu. I format not only clips, but also entire card. I also usually reset TC before a new project.

Manual is well written, so I would advise just read through it, so you know all the functions of the camera.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems