Need HM700 and FCP step-by-step "for dummies" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old December 1st, 2009, 12:16 PM   #16
New Boot

Hey Alex thanks alot for that reply man, good read. I'm just soaking up, experimenting and re-learning and that is very helpful. I have been experimenting with different settings, trial-and-error is always a good way to go, and I'm just wrapping my head around some of these concepts/terms that are new to me. (pixel shifting and interlacing and so forth)

The camera is the latest firmware, and it's the Canon 14x lens.

Thanks on the congrats, it is a cool little camera. Was a little disappointed in the low light right away, and I looked hard at bigger chips. Couldn't afford to go too crazy with accessories and all, wanted shoulder-mount and the "old-school" form factor of this HM700 won out in the end.

I'm excited about being back in the business, its satisfying to do work you are into and mostly enjoy doing. My goal is to produce the best-looking 30-second spots in town, because there are so many that just look awful.
Jay Kaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:09 PM   #17
Major Player

I heard that. I only got back into it because all my friends where soo disapointed with the two guys in county.. then the JVC came out with the HD100 24p camera, then I thought, why not, start working on some docs and indie projects I've had in my head for years but couldn't afford the 16mm film. FYI I think the ISO of these 1/3 chips is about 320 which makes it a great digital 16mm movie camera replacement, which is why I got it. The SD 480i is very nice too. Your canon lens is better than my stock 16x Fujinon. You might find 24p difficult at first since you have had soo much time ion 60i land. You just have to pan a little slower or faster. There is this panning speed that is popular with 60i operators that doesn't work well with 24p. Just a heads up on that one.

I recomend you ordering Tim's DVD on the HM-700 when it comes out or even the HD100/200 series if his HM700 isn't out yet. Most of the camera operations should be similar so no need to get both I imagine, but it's good regardless. You can get the same info by asking questions, but it will take a lot of time. To see it all put together and see examples of the key features will likely be well worth the money in saved experimental times.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:29 PM   #18
New Boot

Keepin an eye out for that HM700 DVD/manual, will get one of those for sure. The step-by-step tutorial style is very cool.

I'm figuring it out ok, honestly my main hitch is learning the Mac and FCP software. I never edited on the computer, timeline style. Its a little overwhelming but I'm getting it. Also there is a cool Visual Artists Center here in town, they have a media lab with banks of Macs, and offer tutoring in FCP. I'm signed up for a class, be a NLE master in no time. : )
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kaley View Post
... I've read alot of Tims posts and followed links to his site and even tried contact...
Hi Jay.

Welcome to DV Info Net. I'm sorry if you didn't get a timely response from me. All emails with "FCP","JVC" or "dvinfo" are sent an auto-response and then thrown into a "dvinfo" folder that I really only get an hour or two a week to look through.
I'm very glad you posted your question here. As you can see from the length of this thread our community is very helpful and quick to contribute their expertise.

There are probably thousands out there in the same boat as you (new to tapeless acquisition, Mac OS X and FCP) so I'm going to change the title of this thread to "Need HM700 and FCP step-by-step "for dummies"" so it is easier to find on Google.
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:47 PM   #20
New Boot

Thanks for the welcome Tim, and no worries on the email, I was just throwing some lines in the water and your name comes up alot. : ) Thread title fine too, and thanks for the tutorials on youtube, very helpful.
Old December 6th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #21
Regular Crew

A Similar Log & Transfer Problem

Ok, so I've read this whole string and most of it makes sense but here's my problem; I have a HM700 recording in the .mov format and I'm editing on a new iMac w/FCP Studio. I copied my whole SDHC card to an external HD and if I dig down and drag the CLIP file into my FC project Browser the clips appear and I can edit them into the timeline. However this brings the entire raw clip into the project. I would like to be able to only bring in portions of each clip. when I go into LOG & TRANSFER I click on the ADD Volume button which opens up a Finder window, I select the CLIP file of the copy of my SDHC card on the external HD and drag it into the upper left section of the LOG & TRANSFER (where it has NAME, MEDIA START & MEDIA DURATION columns and instead of the clips and thumbnails showing up I get a WARNING which reads: "CLIP" contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

So then if I just settle for dragging the clips directly into the browser can I rename individual clips with more descriptive names or will that screw up FCP's ability to reference the clip back to the external HD?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #22
Wrangler

Hi Dan

The "Log and Transfer" function of FCP is reserved for non-MOV formats. You were correct to just drag (or import) your CLIP folder in to FCP. You can log these clips into smaller selects by previewing them in the left window (aka 'The Viewer') marking in and out and then making sub-clips (command + U.)

You can change the names of any of your clips in your bin without affecting the clips' linkage to the original file on the hard drive. The original file on the hard drive will remain untouched and retain its original name.
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:21 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Thanks Tim,

A couple other questions... I copied the entire SDHC card to my external HD. Is that necessary for archiving or can I just copy the CLIP file? Also, since you don't have reel numbers on the cards or individual clips is it a concern if you have more than 1 card in a project and both cards timecode starts at 1:00:00:00?

I know everybody is bugging you about this but I really hope your JVC Pro HD Part 2 DVD is going to be ready soon, I've got my credit card ready and I'm holding my breath!

Thanks for all the help and advice,
Dan Magnafichi
Dan Magnafichi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems