First time card Problem...need help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:50 AM   #1
New Boot

First time card Problem...need help

Hi, I'm been using my HM-700 since april and have not had a single problem with it until today. I've been using Delkin devices 32GB cards and have never had an issue of any kind until today. I filmed a 30 minute school play this morning and everything seemed to be working perfectly. The record light was on, and in my viewfinder, I was seeing the time code progressing, as well as how many minutes were left on the card. It started at 111 minutes and when I stopped, it was 86 minutes. when i got home and put the card in my reader, it said "no files" when i opened the folder. I was horrified! I then put the card back into the camera and pressed the media button....there were no files...and yet the on-screen info indicated that footage had been shot and that there was ionly 86 minutes left on the card. (The card had been formatted before the shoot). I put the card into my HM-100 and the same thing happened. When i set the camera to media and looked at the viewfinder, no files showed up, and yet it indicated that about a third of the card's storage had been used up. Can anybody offer some assistance. I need to know if the footage is really gone or if not, how i can salvage it. Thanks so much in advance.
David Medzorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Have you tried the restore media option in the camera menu.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #3
New Boot

Restore is not highlighted....only format. i know there's something there...the camera says so. Is there something else in the menu that I have overlooked?
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

David,

Just throwing this out just in case you haven't already checked. The card has a write protect slider, is it off?

Also on your PC/Mac have you changed the setting that hides hidden files? If there is something on the card and it is hidden, I'd be curious what the file & extension is.

Steve
Steve J. Nordahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #5
New Boot

Steve, much of what you've just said is new to me, in all humility. could yu explain a bit more and tell me how i would alter these settings on my PC in regards to hidden files? thank you.
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

David, how do you pull the files off the card?

I've been using a trick of searching for *.mp4 and point to the 'N' drive ( where the card shows up) and then move the mp4 off.

If for some reason I forget to format the drive and the reamaining folders are still there, it will show as if all the MP4 are there when there not.

have you tried a search for *.MP4
Old October 26th, 2010, 05:18 AM   #7
New Boot

have not tried that (search for .MP4). Could you provide me with some detail as to how you do this? I'd be grateful. thank you
Old October 26th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #8
Regular Crew

just up the search window and for the file name type *.mp4. the Asterisk is a wildcard for you don't need to worry about the actual name. then point to the drive letter your card reader comes up as. ( on mine is comes up as drive N:)

then select all and copy ( or move) to your HD. I prefer to do a copy until I verify the files are complete

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems