LCD showing less of the image than viewfinder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old January 20th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

LCD showing less of the image than viewfinder

Just noticed that the flip out screen is showing roughly 5 to 10% less of the actual recorded image left and right. The viewfinder is correct showing the missing real estate. Can anyone concur?
Mike Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:33 AM   #2
Major Player

From memory, the HD100 has the same issue:

EVF underscans
LCD overscans

This is just from memory, though. I don't have either the 100 or 700 here to confirm.

If it is true, count yourself lucky: Far too many of the sub £10k cameras have EVFs that overscan!
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mike,

Try this set of settings. These were ones I found from Tim's video's on this cam. I use them all the time and it seems to keep me honest.

In the Menu, LCD/VF, Marker Settings, try these settings:

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1 Center
Aspect Marker: Line + Halftone
Safety Zone: 93%
Center marker: On

I also use Display #1 out of personal preference.

I don't know if this will help, but things appear relatively the same in both viewers.

Steve
Bethlehem, Pa.
Steve J. Nordahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Anthony and Steve.

Steve--I'll give it a try--do those settings actually effect the picture raster to raster?
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Major Player

I doubt it. Those are just safety marker settings, I believe. There would need to be an 'underscan' feature for the flip-out LCD.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Mike -- my HM700 has the same 5-10% missing from the left and right on the LCD (but seems to be accurate on the top and bottom). I always just mentally compensate or use the viewfinder (which isn't always convenient, but never mind).
Hamish Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

LCD showing less of the image than viewfinder

Thanks for the reply. I've reviewed the operation manual and the size for the viewfinder is 852x480 and the flip out LCD is 800x480. I'm guessing that discrepancy between 852 and 800 is the difference. I agree that taking a mental note to rely on the viewfinder is the best practice--just wished I had noticed it sooner--or that there was a note in the manual saying that the two monitors are NOT exactly the same.
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Major Player

It's strange, really but it is surprising how many cameras out there effectively overscan. One possible explanation is that some pro-sumer/low-end pro cameras are effectively based on consumer technology which would obviously overscan by default. At least JVC have given us an EVF that underscans!
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I think it's worth noting that the on-screen markers are in exactly the same place on the final image for both the LCD and the VF, so it's usually not too hard to estimate what's missing if you use the markers (I always do). Put slightly differently, the safety markers at the left and right edges are visibly closer to the edge of the LCD display than the VF's, so you can get some quantitative idea of what's missing. Not exactly perfect, I know, but probably cheaper than getting an external monitor hooked up to the SDI output :-).
Hamish Reid is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems