Camera Rain Covers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old November 10th, 2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Rain Covers

Pretty well all my video work is outside and in the UK at this time of year means a more than evens chance that it's going to rain.

This weekend I and all my gear, including my camera (JVC GY-HM600E) got totally soaked.

I wondered how good / effective the camera rain jackets are, there seems to be a couple of suppliers for my camera model in the UK - Porta Brace and Camrade.

Anyone have any experience of using rain jackets in general or specifically with the GY-HM600 ?

Thanks in advance
David Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Camera Rain Covers

We've got the Porta-Brace and the instructions say, don't wait till it actually rains to install it. That's when trouble occurs and you need to practise using it.

Only used it twice and it didn't actually rain, but it was very humid, we need sachets of silicagel taped inside it. HTH.

Cheers.
Old November 12th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #3
Trustee

you can try

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893960-REG/ruggard_rc_p18f_18_rain_cover_for.html
or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/134018-REG/Ewa_Marine_EM_VC_1000_VC_1000_Rain_Cape.html
you only have to throw them on when it rains
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #4
Trustee

I'm a fan of the Kata-type of throw-over covers. Closely-tailored ones tend to get in the way of me operating the camera. We get a LOT of rain, and I've been through a lot of different types and brands of raincover until I found what I felt to be the best.

See my Panasonic AC130 Kata cover here. Kata have improved the design since the nasty green ones, you can even slip it over a mic with a softie on it now.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasoni...ml#post1790446

The HM600 is a similar size, so this might give you an idea. I actually bought a size up from the model that was recommended for my camera. I'm glad I did, it would've been a bit tight otherwise.

None of the rain covers are a joy to use - it's pouring with rain, and you're using your beloved camera inside a giant plastic enclosure. But needs must, sometimes.
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Mike thanks for your input, it's much appreciated. Always useful to get hands-on feedback from those that have already trodden the path, and since I see we're using the kit for the same purpose as I am, you'll know what it's like standing in the middle of a field, whilst it pours down, waiting for a train!

I have a tripod mounted remote, so the access to the camera body is less of an issue, but I think I'd still like the option and the kata solution looks to be one worth exploring, it would also allow me to use the side mounted view finder should I need too.
David Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #6
Trustee

Hi David,

I get very, very, very wet sometimes. :)

For the lens controller, I use a Manfrotto 523RC rain cover, it slips over the tripod pan bar, and is large enough to cover the controller and your hand. It keeps the controller dry, and keeps your hand warm and dry too. I'm never sure how waterproof this sort of equipment is, so I err on the side of caution.

Rain Cover Remote Control 523RC - Remote Controls | Manfrotto

Again, people would use plastic bags etc., but the great thing about proper rain gear is it's tailored for the use, easy to put on and take off, and it's a lot quieter than regular "garbage bags", for both handling noise and rain noise.

My Kata backpacks also some with slip-on waterproof covers. I come with a very fetching selection of waterproof trousers, Gore-tex gaiters, boots, raincoats, gloves, hats and miserable expressions...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems