Mini DV Decks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 28th, 2001, 08:59 AM   #1
fotoman001

dv decks

hello gang,
I'm looking in the archives for dv decks to save the wear and tear on my XL1.
Couldn't find anything...any thoughts on what's out there? Something basic, I don't really care for the bells & whistles; I'll save that for FCP...thanks, Ted.
Old October 28th, 2001, 01:10 PM   #2
Wrangler

MiniDV? I use a Sony GV-D300, works well. Some folks use a ZR-10 or other low cost 1-CCD camcorder player/recorder for around the same price. As a bonus it gives a backup (if of limited capability) camcorder.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2001, 09:02 PM   #3
Contributor

I have a Sony dsr-20 DVCAM/DV deck that has served me well. I firewire from my Canon XL-1 to make DVCAM protection masters of all my DV footage. It cost me $2700. new, but has been worth every penny.
Chris Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2001, 08:18 PM   #4
Major Player

JVC SR-VS10 and 20

This is a great deck for many uses...it integrates a MiniDV deck with a SVHS transport.

I have a review at:
http://www.zenera.com/reviews/jvcsrvs10u.html
Old November 5th, 2001, 07:17 PM   #5
Machinist Mate

As a variant on the ZR10 theme, I use an Elura. It has the analog inputs that the XL1 maddeningly lacks, plus as was pointed out, it serves as a backup camera. And the Elura is SO-O-O small, it works as a "stealth-cam" for shooting unnoticed. Yes, it's a one-CCD rig, but remarkable in performance for its size & price. The footage cuts in pretty well with other DV footage. Try having your assistant shoot some cutaways/B roll while you do the main shot. Of course, it is almost impossible to hold such a bitty thing still, but at least it doesn't take up much space in your bag.

Plus, the elura has a memory card to shoot stills to check the scene, lighting, etc. before rolling tape.
Old November 5th, 2001, 11:38 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Plus the Elura has the important secret weapon for one-chip camcorders... an RGB color filter. Goes a long way toward getting a three-chip look. The Elura and Optura Pi are the only Canons that have it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2001, 12:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Ward : I have a Sony dsr-20 DVCAM/DV deck that has served me well. I firewire from my Canon XL-1 to make DVCAM protection masters of all my DV footage. It cost me $2700. new, but has been worth every penny. -->>>

Does this deck have high quality (1/5 speed) slow motion and or frame by frame capabilities?

Thanks, Al Van Vliet
Alan Van Vliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2001, 01:58 PM   #8
Contributor

It does both though I've only used the frame by frame.
Chris Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2001, 12:07 AM   #9
Regular Crew

There's also the slightly cheaper Sony DSR-11 DVCAM/DV/miniDV deck that's nice and small. It is PAL/NTSC switchable. I've been using one with FCP and ShuttlePro and it works great! Only drawback I've found, so far, is that there is no timecode display.

Silver Reflections
guypringle@yahoo.com
+27(0)83 256 8566
Guy Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2001, 02:37 PM   #10
Regular Crew

DV Decks

Hi all, I just logged on and there was a subject that's causing me a lot of grief at the moment Perhaps someone can throw some light on the prob.
We recently bought a Panasonic DV 2000 deck to save wear & tear on the XL1. When the tape is played back through the camera all is fine, but when we play the tape through the Panasonic deck the sound breaks up badly.
Panasonic inform us that the XL1 is at fault by not being properly aligned, whereby Canon inform us that that there is nothing wrong with the camera, but the deck in not compatible.
Who's telling the truth? Has anyone had similar experiences, if so what's the remedy?
Regards to all
David
Old December 12th, 2001, 05:52 PM   #11
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by africats : There's also the slightly cheaper Sony DSR-11 DVCAM/DV/miniDV deck that's nice and small. It is PAL/NTSC switchable. I've been using one with FCP and ShuttlePro and it works great! Only drawback I've found, so far, is that there is no timecode display. -->>>

I think the DSR-11 will be the model I go with when my XL-1 gets here in a week. You can get some great deals on them on ebay. I just saw a new one in the box go for around 1500.
Drewid20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2001, 04:45 PM   #12
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

david phillips

i have a panasonic deck. my GL tapes play excellent .. however just recently on my canon elura tapes the sound is breaking up on the deck but they playback fine from GL & elura.
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2001, 01:43 PM   #13
New Boot

Reply to David Phillips:

Mr. Phillips,

I have a AGDV-2000 that works flawlessly with my XL-1s (plural) and my GL-1. I do have a question for you - are you recording in SP or LP? I have been told that to get the best results with LP that one should playback in the camera that shot the material. (I don't have a problem with that myself, but I wonder if it might be true in your case).

Another question - do you experience that problem with both the firewire out as well as analog (if it occours in only one it may help narrow down the problem).

Finally, if you would like to send me a tape I'd be happy so see if I can duplicate the problem on my deck.

Good Luck -

Mat Cain
DeCa Videoworks
decavideo@ev1.net
Mat Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2001, 02:04 PM   #14
Machinist Mate

Mat,
If someone is actually taping in LP, let's try talking him out of it. Tape is cheap enough, and the added run time to be gained by taping at the lower speed is just not worth it. Can always buy more cassettes, but there's no way to go back and add quality to a recording. Just my $.02 here.
Old December 18th, 2001, 05:21 PM   #15
New Boot

Graphics guy -

I know it is taboo to record in LP but I lets face it people do it all the time and I admit it... I do it on occasion as well. Though I don't prefer taping in LP - I find it difficult to see any noticeable image quality drop-off.

You seemed to miss the point of my post - I wasn't preaching the advantages of taping in LP but rather trying to help someone who has a problem. So "lets try" not to go off on a rant about our own personal views on tape speed and focus on helping folks on this forum.

Thanks for your $.02 and there is $.02 more....

Mat Cain
DeCa Videoworks

<<<-- Originally posted by the graphics guy : Mat,
If someone is actually taping in LP, let's try talking him out of it. Tape is cheap enough, and the added run time to be gained by taping at the lower speed is just not worth it. Can always buy more cassettes, but there's no way to go back and add quality to a recording. Just my $.02 here. -->>>
Mat Cain is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line