DV Tape Rewinder - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 6th, 2005, 01:53 AM   #46
Major Player

We tossed the subject of a good mini-DV tape rewinder around thoroughly last year. I and several others got a Sima SRW62. It works very well and has never damaged my tapes. It has a smart sensor that slows it and keeps it from crashing against the end of a tape. It can be used with a plug-in DC adaptor, but I always run mine on batteries for convenience and portability. It cost about $40. and is small enough to fit into a pants pocket.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #47
Regular Crew

MiniDV Rewinder for $20. Which do you use?

Greetings,
I know this has been discussed before but I just wanted to see if anyone has the following or what pros/cons they can give me, both of these being under $30 (with s/h).
Lenmar - MDV66
Maxell - MDVRW1
I will be using another MiniDV camcorder for transfers and I usually don't use the same tape more than a few times, I guess narrowing my chances of ruining a tape in one of these. Thanks for feedback.
Chris Scharff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 06:27 AM   #48
Regular Crew

First of all, these units, DV or VHS, are made quite simply but quite ingeniously as well. The way these rewinders automatically stop, at least the VHS models, is by self ejection due to the jerk of the tape stopping and triggering a spring loaded latch that is activated when you close the door. It's like a trap but in reverse. I haven't used one for DV but have for VHS countless times. I would just make sure that it has something called soft eject to prevent it snapping the tape from an abrupt stop. That's why most decks slow down within a minute or two from reaching the leader when rewinding. The only issue I had with the VHS model was that the latch was too secure so the tape would not eject when it was done. The unit would just sit there and whine while the rubber belt continued to spin around the pulley gears. The worst that could happen is that the belt would disintegrate and break before the tape broke but the motor could be damaged as well. I fixed that problem by opening the unit and filing down the plastic latch just enough to make the mechanism more sensitive. The good news is that it ejects every time now but it sometimes stops too early with about 5 minutes of tape left because the vibration from the spools jars the latch. It's better than burning up the motor though. What can we expect for $20? If I got one, it would have to be bi directional because I like to spin (shuttle, cycle, stir) my new tapes before using them and don't like using a camera or deck to do it. If you get one, let us know how it works.

Last edited by James Emory; September 26th, 2005 at 01:54 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Chris,

I have the Maxell unit. It works fine but I really don't use it that much, so can't comment on durability. Seems I'm only puting about 10 or 15 minutes on a tape and end up just rewinding in my deck.

One thing I did to save problems is to attach it to the top of my computer with velcro. They are so light, only a few ounces, that they move all over when you try to put in a tape or hit a button. Just velcro it down!

I hope that this helps.

Mike
Old September 26th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #50
Major Player

I use a Maxell MDV/RW1, have for several years. I have read the warnings about these units snapping tape but in many, many hours of use I have never had a problem. And for a few bucks, all those hours aren't on my VX2000.

David Hurdon
David Hurdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hurdon
I use a Maxell MDV/RW1, have for several years. I have read the warnings about these units snapping tape but in many, many hours of use I have never had a problem. And for a few bucks, all those hours aren't on my VX2000.

David Hurdon
The problem with snapping tapes mainly comes from the weight of the rotating mass, the big spool, when they stop suddenly. On these little DV tapes, however, that mass is so small it probably would rarely if ever cause a break in a tape. Also, the rubber drive belts are so small and loose, that I doubt they could ever break a tape.

Mike
Old September 26th, 2005, 01:26 PM   #52
Regular Crew

I've been using the Maxell for over 2 yrs. Never once snapped a tape. Good little unit to have around.
http://pages.infinit.net/cybrmonk/
Montreal, Quebec
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sean Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #53
Inner Circle

maxwel mdv

I have had one for awhile and i use it daily, never a problem yet.

Can you get one for a standard high 8 tape too???

Gus
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Yep. As you'll see, a couple of the DV units are identical in design as different brands and way different in cost for the same unit.

8mm
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

All Selections
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=1988
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:33 PM   #55
Regular Crew

Quote:
As you'll see, a couple of the DV units are identical in design as different brands and way different in cost for the same unit.
If you're referring to the difference between the Lenmar MDV66 and the Power-2000 models, there IS a difference. The Power-2000 comes with the AC adapter, while the Lenmar MDV66 does not. While B&H generally has good pricing, Pro-Tape has the Power-2000 for $33 (and very good prices on MiniDV tapes). Here's the link: http://store.yahoo.com/protape/simmindvrew.html
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #56
Major Player

I use the Power-2000 rewinders for rewinding after capture and pre-winding new tapes. They are so great, I bought two of them!

If you want to save money, get the Lenmar, which is likely the same thing w/o power supply. I use NiMH's in my winders anyway and let the batteries get low on purpose, they then run the tape slower.

The only $20 winder I tried was the Kinyo. It ate the first tape I put in it, exchanged for a P2K and haven't had problems since. Buy something good!

Last edited by Jeff Miller; October 20th, 2005 at 02:46 PM.
Jeff Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 07:59 PM   #57
New Boot

I use the maxell rewinder instead of my vx2000 and it works great. I've done a couple dozen tape through it and never had a problem! You can't beat it for under $30.

I've watched it as it comes near the end of the tape and I've never noticed any abrupt snap, the machine doesn't have much torque and it doesn't spin all that fast (just enough to do its job). Any sort of abrupt stopping of the tape seems to be absorbed by the wound roll of tape on the other spool.
Sean Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 08:10 PM   #58
Major Player

have also the Kinyo from b&h for about $ 20. 1 year old and no problems. i never rewind in the camera.

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 05:28 AM   #59
Major Player

Has anyone encountered "tape stretch""

My interest in this relates specifically to mini DV Tape. Having lots of mainframe systems experience, for years I've been under the impression that the biggest 2 problems with any tape are 1) stretching, and 2) shelf life. ("Back in the day", mainframe tapes were only considered good for a shelf life of 2 yrs. before the coatings might begin to "peel", and if stored for more than 2 yrs, there was some mechanical cleaning process that the operators would perform).

I'd expect the "sudden stop" from mini DV rewinders to increase the likelihood of stretching. Even if recording only once, has anyone experienced stretching to the point where it has impacted repeated playback?

Thanks.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 07:38 AM   #60
Major Player

Denis,
Yah the little P2K's I use do stop suddenly. I've never been thrilled by that but it hasn't been a problem as far as I can tell. Good practice is to roll a minute or two at the beginning/end of a tape. My theory (hope) is that if the P2K does stretch something, it is either that preroll, or the nylon leader tape on the spool.

Also as noted above, I tend to run the batteries low which slows the motor down and takes some drama out of the sudden stop.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line