DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   DV Tape Rewinder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/12691-dv-tape-rewinder.html)

Matt Elias July 31st, 2003 04:26 PM

DV Tape Rewinder

Would the purchase of a DV tape rewinder be necessary? Not sure how much wear it puts on my GL2 to rewind tapes. I've seen rewinders for $25 - not too expensive if it prolongs the life of my camera.

Cool, my 20th post. Guess that makes me a regular...

Don Bloom July 31st, 2003 04:37 PM

It's not necessary but I think you just answered your own question. Any wear and tear on a camera besides the actual purpose it was designed for in my opinion is excessive. I have a little rewinder that I use and have had no problems with it other than its slow but I would rather it be slow than put more wear and tear on the transport of my camera.
Just my $.04 cents worth (adjusted for a slow economy)
Don

Michael Wisniewski July 31st, 2003 05:28 PM

Try to get one that both fast forwards and rewinds, they cost almost the same:

- the fast forward feature can be a time saver.
- you can also use it to get rid of any slack in the tape.

Samuel Raj July 31st, 2003 06:09 PM

Where we can get these rewinder in US?

Matt Stahley July 31st, 2003 06:11 PM

I thought it was best to FF/RW tape in the camera before recording to reduce slack and for proper alignment on the heads?

Patricia Kim July 31st, 2003 07:43 PM

Samuel, I just bought a one-way rewinder made by Maxell for about $25 at a Long's Drugstore. One caveat: someone pointed out that you do take the risk of snapping your tape, so it's my intention to use the rewinder only after I have first downloaded any clips I want to my computer and/or have a good backup of anything I really want to keep - just in case.

Samuel Raj July 31st, 2003 08:12 PM

Thanks Patricia,

May be a high quality, costly rewinder if available, can do the best job.

Patricia Kim July 31st, 2003 08:25 PM

Samuel, some people are buying cheaper digicamcorders and using them, the theory being that they then have a backup camcorder, too. If you're going for a costly re-winder, maybe you should look into dv tape players, although, if you're going to do that, you might just as well consider getting another GS100 or something close to it.

Chris Hurd August 1st, 2003 12:18 PM

Howdy from Texas,

Our site sponsor Pro-Tape has a variety of Mini DV cassette rewinders for sale. Here's a complete list of them. Hope this helps,

Michael Wisniewski August 1st, 2003 11:09 PM

Chris, you have a comma in the Pro-Tape URL above

Jeff Donald August 1st, 2003 11:43 PM

Fixed, thanks Michael. I have posted on several occasions my thoughts on the limitations of rewinders. The biggest of which is the rough handling of a relatively fragile tape format. I own the Sima SRW-62 and I find it's performance lacking. It handles the tape in much to rough of a manner. It snaps the tape in both forward and reverse. In my opinion this is unacceptable in mini DV tapes.

While we all value the time and wear and tear on our expensive cameras (XL1, DVX100, PD150 etc.), nothing is more valuable than the tape. The footage I shoot and capture on tape is far more valuable than cost of replacing heads etc. Try explaining to a bride or corporate client that the tape was destroyed by rewinding the tape to avoid a little wear and tear on your precious camera. It's just not worth it to me. If anyone wants to buy it make an offer.

Roze Ann September 13th, 2003 08:52 PM

@ mini dv rewinders

I bought a Sima 2 way mini-rewinder from Pro-Tape (one of this forums sponsors). It was only $24.95 and I LOVE IT!!! Cannot even imagine how anyone would consider using a $2500 camera or even a $500 one as a rewind/ff machine. It's the best $25 +/- insurance you can buy. I HIGHLY recommend these to everyone. (Not doubting Jeff's comments at all... I may just be very blessed on this issue). Plus the run on AC adaptor (included) or AAA batteries so you can take them on location. I just leave mine plugged in next to the computer.

As soon as I return from a shoot the FIRST thing I do is unload the camera and pop the tape into the rewinder. Label the tape (if I haven't done so already) and put it in a cool 50 ct. mini-dv rack (also from Pro-Tape). Then when it is time to transfer I know everything is already wound to the beginning of the tape and we're good to go!

I have used the Sima to "pre-stretch" a few tapes when I had time ahead to do so. I use only Fuji DVC 60's and have had NO problems at all. Perfect performance. Do yourself a favor and get a rewinder. Honestly it is one of the best investments you can make.

Paul Chun March 25th, 2004 09:43 PM

Tape Rewinders

I read somewhere that MiniDV tape rewinders are bad for the tape. No real evidence to back that up. I just thought I'd throw this out to everyone to get some opinions. I just bought one and I wanted to know if it is indeed bad for the tape. I got it so that I don't put too much wear on the camera rewinding.

Jack Smith March 25th, 2004 11:07 PM

I'm using a Maxell rewinder. Goes real slow so I don't think it will cause any problem.Rewinders that are fast and don't have a brake or speed changer near the end of the tape can cause stretch and possibly breakage.
I wish I had a fast forward on it. That would be useful aswell
smitty

Ken Tanaka March 25th, 2004 11:33 PM

It may, at first, seem unsettling to trust a "dumb" device to rewind your tape. But in my experience with them, they're fine. I use a battery-powered winder/rewinder that probably cost $30 from Tape Resources.