DV tape storage? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old July 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #61
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Beisner View Post
Don't bother. Hire someone (like your teenage kid, if you have one) to copy the tapes over to your NLE and archive by hard drive or blu-ray. Chances are you won't be able to find a player for your tapes in 15-20 years.
Which of course would lead to the discussion of whether one could mount current issue hard drives or Blu-Ray media in 15 - 20 years...
Old July 15th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #62
Major Player

Pretty much my scheme of things too. Date and main location on tape label, stored in boxes of 50 in date order. Cross reference on excell spreadsheet - includes in and out times of specific clips that I might want to use again later. Those clips are also stored on an external hard drive, and referenced back to the original tape in their title.
Old July 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #63
Inner Circle

Which would then naturally lead to the discussion of what you'd be able to mount them on.

Of course, you can still buy 3.5 inch floppy drives today. The Japanese company I consult for still manufactures them in volume.

And about two years ago we were asked by a major Japanese customer to build a couple of open reel 9 track tape drives so they could continue to read media from the 1970's. We built them. But I hate to think what we charged for them!

I know that the petroleum exploation companies have tapes in the archive that are over 40 years old and they keep old hardware around just to read them.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM   #64
Contributor

The old rule for storing larger tapes, like 3/4 and Betacam, was to always rewind them all the way to the very head, store them in their boxes, store them upright like books, and do it in a place with fairly constant temperature, ie., home, office, etc., that's heated and air conditioned.

Back in the 3/4" tape days, edge curl was a notorious problem. Actually, with 3/4, everything was a problem. If a tape was stored laying down for a few months it could develop edge curl and the result would be audio dropouts because audio tracks ran down the edge. That's also why the good audio went to channel 2, the inside track a little farther from the edge. I don't know if any of that, including storage, did any good, but that's what everybody recommended. Couldn't hurt anything for DV either.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #65
Major Player

Thank you. We are indeed converting everything in Digital files (QTime) so the point was to find the best way to store away the tapes, hoping never to have to play them back again.
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #66
Regular Crew

Storage for MINI DV tapes

Im swamped in them... They're all over my edit suite.... I cant get away from them!

Help!

What do you guys to store your tapes in?

Im tempted to just buy a small filing type cabinet and chuck them all in there. Is there anything more suited to the size, without breaking the bank?

Cheers
Tim Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #67
Trustee

Hi Tim,
I use some of this racks on the wall Datrax / Bryco | MDV-50 MiniDV Plastic Rack | MDV50 | B&H Photo, when projects are finished I store the tapes in small paper boxes in a closet. I bought the paper boxes (very cheap) at IKEA, donīt know if you have this kind of store at your place
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #68
Equal Opportunity Offender

Given that we are not likely to have to access the tapes again, you might as well wrap them in a plastic zip-seal bag, label it, and store in a shoe box. The plastic bag ensures you can group all your tapes together easily.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #69
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
If you're going to toss them into a plastic bag, I'd suggest tossing a desiccant in there with them to draw off any moisture or else you might as well toss the tapes in the garbage instead.

FTR, my shot tapes live strewn over my desk and bookshelf while in use (not a great plan...) but end up filed away back in the original 5 tape cardboard boxes that I bought them in once I'm done with them (reels ALWAYS stored at a 90 degree angle to the shelf to help minimize settling of the tape edge, causing crinkling)
Old July 29th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #70
Major Player

I use the "really useful box" 4 litre size designed to hold a ream of A4 paper. Depending on how you arrange the tapes, you can get about 50-60 in a box. Also I put in a few sheets of paper with a brief listing of what is on each tape - date and place if nothing else.

Adding a few sachets of dessicant is something that I ought to do too.
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #71
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, thats really helpful.

The really useful boxes look good - and perfect size - thanks Annie! Shame shipping is Ģ11 for 3 of the boxes though!!

Cheers
Tim Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #72
Inner Circle

Trhy these drawers from Walmart

Try these Sterlite drawers from Walmart or Target. See pic below
Attached Thumbnails
DV tape storage?-dsc08335.jpg  
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #73
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sargent View Post
Thanks guys, thats really helpful.

The really useful boxes look good - and perfect size - thanks Annie! Shame shipping is Ģ11 for 3 of the boxes though!!

Cheers
I picked mine up from PC World, and I'm sure there are other outlets. All my other really useful boxes came as a set of five of various sizes - four sets in all from Viking Direct - and they enable me to keep most of my photo and video stuff in some sort of order! Particularly useful for keeping remote cameras, cables and chargers together without getting the chargers mixed up, or leaving miles of cables strung all over the place.

I could have a mini "Spring-Watch" going on here - even the badger has taken to coming in regularly after 10:30 when I'm thinking of going to bed. I wanted to experiment with the infra-red lights this evening, so I had to stay awake.
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #74
Obstreperous Rex

I use the inexpensive generic plastic boxes (as Chris B. above) and the Bryco racks...
Attached Thumbnails
DV tape storage?-img_6290.jpg   DV tape storage?-img_6287.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #75
Tourist

MiniDV Storage Solution!

I've seen lots of different MiniDV storage solutions, but most of them either 1) kludgey or 2) unnecessarily expensive for a sufficient number of tapes.

We found something really useful at the Container Store. Stockholm Paper Drawers:

The Container Store > Stockholm Paper Drawers

2" deep, holds 14x4 tapes per drawer, x 2 drawers per unit = 112 tapes per unit, for about $25. You can stack them, too, but I wouldn't recommend stacking more than two high--they're made of a heavy cardboard and seem to be sturdy enough though. We used the shipping inserts to divide the columns of tapes, and we're really happy with them.
Stevon Roberts is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line