Switching tape brands at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 12:38 PM   #1
New Boot

Switching tape brands

Sorry if this is redundant, but a search on "tape brands" didnt turn up much help.

I have been running Maxell tapes in my xl-1 about a year, and the only problem is an occasional "wide interlacing" on start-up where the current material and what might be underneath alternate on the screen in wide horizontal bands.

I suspect it may be due to heads needing a cleaning, and sure enough yesterday I got the viewfinder message flashing to clean heads. I bought a Maxell dry cleaner at the local Target, having read on here that cleaners are indistinguishable.

Here is the question:

It seems people take a dim view of Maxell, as it seems to dirty the heads faster. Also seems people like Sony. Prices are pretty close, So Im thinking of switching after cleaning the heads, but I also hear references on here that switching brands "causes head problems." How can that be, and can I/should I switch to Sony?

Many thanks,

Eddie
Eddie Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 12:45 PM   #2
Warden

Hi Eddie, thanks for posting. A search of your subject line, "Switching Tape Brands" returned well over 25 threads and you can view them here. I would start with the posts in the Long Black Line Forum then move to others if you can't find enough info.

The long and the short of it is, that switching tape brands is not recommended. If you do switch, a least run a head cleaner tape through first. If you have the time or feel more comfortable with having your heads cleaned professionally, do so.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 12:46 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Ed,

I had a similar behavior with my XL1. I was using JVC tapes avec on almost all tapes, the first 5 to 10 seconds was "desaligned" or "wide interlaced" as you say. Since I had switched to sony premium, the problem have disapeared. All is fine now.

You must use a cleaning tape before switching tape brand because differents brands may use differents type of lubricating material.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line