Impact MiniDV Rewinder Destroyed Tapes at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old June 11th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Impact MiniDV Rewinder Destroyed Tapes

It is brand new.. pretty sad :(

L.A. Color Blog

Take a look at the video.
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I too had bad luck with the Impact brand. It says it is made in Japan, but I doubt that. Most likely made in China and assembled in Japan.
Clint Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Of course it destroys the tape. It's a $25 piece of junk. Any such device that doesn't slow down as it approaches the beginning (or end) of the tape will put a lot of stress as it comes to an abrupt halt. Proper DV mechanisms use a microprocessor-controlled stepper motor with detection electronics to work out where the tape is. A dumb analog motor is not a viable substitute for (re)winding high precision tapes. Also, it seems a weird video to post. And I'm very surprised at some of the respected retailers who have sold this.

Caveat emptor.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Adorama refunded my entire purchase including the shipping cost. No need to send the item back. Then I bought a Maxell tape rewinder. It's the same one to replace the broken one I have. It is working fine.
Old July 11th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #5
Equal Opportunity Offender

Just now, the fact that they named the brand "Impact" is somewhat telling. Especially as it only takes the closing of the unit/shell to do the damage.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #6
Major Player

I have had one for years made by (or for) SIMA that works OK, but I still won't use it. I don't trust them. I use my deck or the camera instead. In fact a cheap older used miniDV camera may be a better option if you need a rewinder.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line