DCR-VX2100 and the tape inside at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old June 30th, 2004, 01:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DCR-VX2100 and the tape inside

I just purchased a new DCR-VX2100 camera from B&H because Boyd told me to. ;-)

I understand it's best to use only one tape with your camera. Let's take it a step further. Is there a preferred tape for exclusive use with the DCR-VX2100?

What tape do you recommend that I use with my new DCR-VX2100?

Thank you.
Jim Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 12:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Yes, there is preffered kind of tape - new one! I read here lots of questions regarding that issue, and general suggestion is that you choose one brand and stick to it. I personally use Fuji tapes, but that's my choice... I worked with PD150 which was heavily used for months with all kind of brands and no problems at all. Maybe it's just luck...
Darko Flajpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #3
Major Player

When I first started with video 17 years ago, I began to learn something about tapes, that I think is still true. No matter how well one brand or quality-level of tape of that brand may usually work, there is always an odd cassette or a whole batch of them that are duds.

So, if you have a bad experience with a few of a certain kind, don't think that it's necessarily a sign that all those of that kind will be faulty. You have to accept that not every cassette turns out equally, even if their wrappers are identical.

Over time, I've developed my preferences, based on performance, dependability and durability over time: For what it may be worth to anyone else to know my choices, here they are:

S-VHS-----Fuji Pro H471-S 120
VHS-------TDK EHG 120
Hi-8/Digital8 MP-----TDK 120
Hi-8 ME------Sony Pro Hi-8 Editor 120
BetaCam Oxide-----Sony
BetaCam SP metal-----Sony and Fuji
DV-----Sony Excellence 60 w/o memory chip

The Sony Hi-8 Editor tape is no longer made, but on the rare occasions I use Hi-8, I get good results from the TDK MP type. The Fuji consumer S-VHS tape is plenty good for daily TV program recording. I tried using the unique Fuji ME-equivalent Hi-8 tape (actually a higher-quality MP tape), but found they put fine-grained noise in the picture.
The Sony DV Excellence cassettes cost twice as much as the lower-priced ones, but nothing is too good for my VX2100 sweetheart. I always use BetaCam SP cassettes for ED-Beta, as the Sony tapes labeled for that format are a disaster and aren't even made any more, meaning any you found would be old and even worse.

The very best tapes of any kind I ever found were some TDK triple-coated, Metal-Evaporated Hi-8 ones from 14 years ago, but they quit making them after a couple of years. The ones I still have work great with Hi-8 and Digital8, even after all this time and dozens of passes.

Steve McDonald
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2004, 01:10 PM   #4
Wrangler

I've gotten very good results using Sony Excellence (without the chip). I've never had a drop out in my VX2000. Of course, I only use new tape.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line