Monitor for DSR-11? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Monitor for DSR-11?

Please excuse my ignorance on this one, but I have been unable to figure out how to view the DSR-11 output on my NLE monitor?? I have it connected to the computer via DV link and I'm using Ulead MediaStudio Pro. When I go into capture mode in Ulead I can see the video output on the screen, BUT that's only in capture mode! It doesn't give me the ability to just view the video, or access the menu system on the DSR-11.

Do I need a different program or a separate display monitor just for the DSR-11 to access the menu system and view video?

Thanks in advance!
Brian Vilevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 04:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well, the firewire connects the DSR 11 to your computer... not to your monitor. To do that, you need to run the s-video connector out of the back of the DSR-11 or just the composite out (RCA Plugs) to your monitor.

The diagrams are on pages 21-22 depending on your setup.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply!

However, my monitor does not have any RCA plugs or a s-video port. Only has the dvi or vga plug - 20" Sony LCD..
Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Okay,
I misread your post of 'monitor' as in ntsc monitor. My fault. Yes, you will need to connect a televison or ntsc monitor to the DSR 11 at the same time it is connected to your computer. That way you can watch the footage whether or not your computer is turned on.

Do you not have an instruction manual?
Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, I have the manual - just got it today so haven't read through the entire manual - have to play first, read later !! :)

Suggestions for a "relatively inexpensive" monitor???
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:03 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Well, any television set will act as a monitor... though you can't do truly acurate color correcting on it. Your profile doesn't say where you are located, but most of the big-box electronic stores have some nice, flat screened 13-14 inch monitors with s-video and composite in for around 100-150 dollars.

A true NTSC studio monitor is going to be much more expensive.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:09 PM   #7
Major Player

Dunno what your budget is, Brian. If you like to save money, I recommend looking on Ebay for a used 13- or 14-inch JVC or Sony monitor. I picked up a mint-clean Sony PVM-14N2U for $200 and couldn't be happier. If you're shooting 16:9 be sure to confirm that feature is included & works.

To ensure you get a monitor that works properly, however, I recommend you buy locally. It's easy for a monitor to be misrepresented, badly inspected (if at all) by an ignorant seller or damaged in shipment. Plus you can save on shipping costs.
John Sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:44 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Richard, I'm located in Cleveland, OH. 13-14 inch monitor for 100 - 150 sounds great! Which brand / model are you referring too? Is there anything in particular I need to look for in these monitors - IE resolution, etc?

John, thank you for the Ebay advice, however I have read on these forum several times NOT to buy monitors on Ebay UNLESS you have the opportunity to "test' it first.

It doesn't need to be anything fancy - "true studio monitor." Just need the ability to queue the tape before capturing. Filming primarily corporate video and the occasional family vacations, kids stuff, etc.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:47 PM   #9
Regular Crew

ohh - forgot to ask:

Is there a way to view the video on my pc with a third party software therefore eliminating the need for a monitor?

Thanks again!!
Brian Vilevac is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line