Panasonic AG-DV2500 or Sony DSR-11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old May 18th, 2005, 07:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Panasonic AG-DV2500 or Sony DSR-11

I am looking for opinions on these two decks. I need to get an editing deck in the next couple of weeks and would like to know if anyone has any experiance with either of these decks? I have read some threads on this forum about the DSR-11 but haven't found anything on the AG-DV2500. The Sony is priced alittle higher (about $125 on B&H) and I have always kind of thought Sony was alittle overpriced. Is the AG-DV2500 comparable in quality and function? I know these questions are asked frequently but any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin Penhorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

From reading the specs:

The Panasonic may have headphone jack and audio meters. The DSR11 doesn't according to Adam Wilt's review.
The Panasonic can add 7.5IRE setup (which is correct for non-Japan NTSC), the DSR11 cannot.
The Panasonic can read but not record to DVCAM. The DSR11 does both.
I believe both can read PAL/NTSC DV tapes.
In Final Cut, there are hacks to put timecode down through firewire with the DSR11 (i.e. you need to make a broadcast master). Apparently DVCPRO is a more popular format though?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info!! I was wondering if the DSR-11 had audio meters or headphone jacks....it didn't look like it from the picture or the features listed.

They both have features that I would like, so part of the decision is going to come down to quality. Has anyone experienced any quality or performance issues with either one?
Kevin Penhorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Hello,

I am buying a DSR-11 right now. I also wondered about the Pani. I am having the great "Tape Brand Debate" with myself right now, so this is an important choice.

I have shooters that provide me with DVCAM tapes, which are exclusively Sony, so I want to standardize on Sony brand. But I am also buying a camera, I would like the DSR-400... great specs, but the JVC 5100U is cheaper and has great DSP... so I may go with the JVC.

Where is this going??

Well because of my dilemma, I called Sony and JVC. It appears (still don't trust my results 100%) that the DSR-11 will read anything you throw in it that will fit, and I should be able to run full size DVCAM tapes in the JVC camera... so I can still standardize on Sony tapes.

The added advantage of the DSR-11, besides its rock solid construction and reputation, is that it can additionally read/record DVCAM, which is probably the best standard in this category for quality.

JMHO :-)
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Anthony,

That is definately something to think about, I am really sitting on the fence here. I don't do alot with DVCAM tapes but that always could change. Having the most versatility is definately a high priority!!!
Kevin Penhorwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line