Difference between these two tapes? Huh? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 17th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Difference between these two tapes? Huh?

I use a Canon XH A1 and want the best Panasonic tape money can buy. I couldn't figure out which of these two is the best, nor could I figure out what the difference was. Does anyone know how these two tapes differ?

Panasonic AY-DVM63HD HDV Cassette (63 Minutes)
Panasonic | AY-DVM63HD HDV Cassette (63 Minutes) | AY-DVM63HD

Panasonic AY-HDVM63AMQ Advanced Master Quality Mini DV Videocassette
Panasonic | AY-HDVM63AMQ Advanced Master Quality | AY-HDVM63AMQ

Thanks.
Deke Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #2
Major Player

I'd like to know the answer to that also. I noticed the change when I recently went to purchase new panasonic tapes. They now seem to come in a hard casing as oposed to the old packaging. THe new case also says "professional mode 42 mins" Any idea of what they are considering professonal mode?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Professional Mode is probably referencing DVCAM, which is a Sony format that has a shorter duration due to it's increased track pitch. As it's a sony format they probably can't refer to it as DVCAM, and as it's used in professional recording a lot it makes sense to mention that.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

When Panasonic 'AMQ' tape first appeared it was touted as ..

'A newly developed robust lubricant and a durable diamond-like carbon (DLC) film with extra thickness dramatically boost durability during still frame playback, which places considerable burden on the tape. This rugged durability stands up to the repeated rewinding, fast forwarding and playback of professional editing.'

So if you're just using it for regular consumer use with the average capture procedure you don't need AMQ.

Pana 'MQ' series has been around for at least 5years and was touted as 'great for archiving' They discontinued the 83min version which I use for HDV. I bought the last 50 from BnH. IMO I don't think MQ 83min was selling well compared to other lengths.

When you see 'for HD' recording, IMO it's just marketing with new packaging. Digital is just recording ones and twos, it's either on or off, in or out. SD tapes do fine if you keep the tape path clean.

Cheers.
Old October 26th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Uhh, If I may say... Digital is 1's and 0's...

Just my 2 cents.
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #6
Inner Circle

uh? oh yeah, don't confuse me don't confuse me, thanks.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line