Three tapes, Three dropouts!!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old June 27th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #16
Trustee

Maybe the problem is also with your playback deck. Is it the same machine as your camera recorder? Are you playing the tape from the different camera on the first machine you had the problem with. Tension problems and worn parts can give you data errors which look like drop out but are actually not lack of information on the tape which is what dropout was in analog systems. Yes it could also be the tape but more often it is the machines gradually going out of spec, dirt , wear and tear if cleaning does not help.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #17
Major Player

Resolved!!! Sort of....

Long story short, i used another camera to playback my lost footage.
And yes, all the data started transferring....
I even went back to some previous tapes, and restored the lost frames.

Therefore, my camera has issues with playback. Usually in the first minute ..You would think that the recording would be affected also, but it's not the case so far.
Unfortunately, the Canon depot in Toronto has a turnaround of about 15-20 days...

But thanks to all....
It's definately my tape transport. It's as if the heads are slipping on the same spots all the time??
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #18
Trustee

Glad to hear you have success even if it means your playback deck needs repair. It is always tricky to trouble shoot partially working systems.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #19
Major Player

I've used Panasonic tapes for many years and have had about 2 small drop outs in all that time. Lately, I don't see the tapes anymore because I have a Z5 with MRC-1 and I only use the tape for archive.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:46 PM   #20
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
My opinion...repeat MY opinion...first, clean the heads, then switch to Sony tape and never go back to Panasonic tape! (also the 1 minute roll, etc mentioned above...)
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:05 PM   #21
Regular Crew

What I was told (and it makes sense) is that tape is manufactured in 2m wide sheets on a continuous band. It is then sliced into strips. The centre of the sheet has the smoothest and most even coating and this is used for the HD, pro and high performance (and more expensive) tapes. As you move out to the edge the quality drops such that the outside few inches are sold off to the no-name firms. So, the people who claim that some no-name brands are "the same" as the expensive tapes are right but it doesn't have the same quality of coating.

These "strips" are incredibly long and are on rolls, used in a machine whereby the end of the tape is glued onto the casette spool (just the spool, the housing comes later) and the spool pulls the required amount off the large roll of tape. This means that the first few inches/feet are stretched as they pull the tape off the roll, until the roll gets up to speed and the strain lessens. At the required length the motor cuts out and the roll is braked, again causing strain on the tape.
This is why drop-out tends to occur at the beginning and end of a tape.

I hope this makes sense, it's bloody difficult to describe in writing!
Robin Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 02:51 PM   #22
Equal Opportunity Offender

Some of the HDV tapes (ie the Sony ones) are a genuinely new and improved formulation for the recording layer.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:25 AM   #23
Major Player

Ran into this with Panasonic PQ tapes and was told that neither Sony nor Panasonic recommend using 83 minute tapes. When I told them that I ran into this problem with 63 minute tapes as well they told me that I could exchange the 4 boxes I had if I sent them an e-mail to the attention of the person I spoke to at Panasonic professional. Three e-mails later I got no response.

Solved the problem by always recording in LP instead of SP.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #24

Ummm ... should it be "always recording in SP (short play) instead of LP (long play)" by any chance? :-)

Andrew
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #25
Major Player

No,

If they are both saying that the tape transports on most miniDV cameras (like my Sony VX2000) aren't designed to handle the physically longer (83 minute) tapes, then if you need to record more than 63 minutes and you cannot change tapes, record in LP.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #26

Not that I have looked, but I haven't found any professional cameras that support recording in LP mode. Instead we buy this really expensive tape deck that uses the larger media ... for up to 276 min.

Andrew
Old July 9th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #27
Major Player

VX2000, VX2100, PD150, etc all shoot in LP.

I also have a deck as you describe. It is a Sony WV-DR9. Handles miniDV and Large DV tapes.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line