Tape to PC on an old Panasonic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old January 5th, 2020, 09:25 AM   #1
Tourist

Tape to PC on an old Panasonic?

I've got an old Panasonic camcorder (NV-GS230GC) that uses the mini DV tapes and I want to connect it to my PC (Windows 10, 64 bit) to download recordings and edit them. I've found some capture/editing software (Filmora) and downloaded it.

The camcorder instruction manual doesn't cover the PC connection issue.

The camcorder has a small 'DV' port (about 6mm wide), an S video port, a small USB port (Mini B, I think) and a single '3.5mm jack' type AV port. I've tried USB to USB but the software I have downloaded doesn't seem to link to the camcorder when it's connected.

Is the DV port on the camcorder the same as a FireWire port? The Panasonic online help pages say to use the DV port so I have a FireWire card and cable on order in the hope that this might work.

Any suggestions as to the correct ports; the correct cable and software or anything else to help me accomplish this task would be appreciated! As you may have gathered I'm new to this so don't be afraid to keep the language simple!
Aidan Winder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2020, 09:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Tape to PC on an old Panasonic?

The socket is a 4pin firewire. So as long as your cable has that type on the end, you're ok. Your camera supports SD cards I think - not sure if there is a function to dub the DV tape onto the card - that could be easier than having to connect the cable, but I suppose would take real time to do it in.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2020, 10:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

You need to buy a pci firewire card for your pc from an online retailer like ebay or amazon for under $20. Places like Best Buy can help you install it if you’re not tech savvy.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; January 5th, 2020 at 11:25 AM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2020, 11:24 AM   #4
Major Player

Or look for an old computer with firewire and of course a legit Windows XP or similar. Then look download this capture program. http://www.scenalyzer.com/
Old January 5th, 2020, 06:07 PM   #5
Wrangler

Or you could get any old Macintosh, starting around 1999 or so. After that, all Macs had built-in firewire ports and were pre-loaded with iMove software that can capture DV. I think all Macs still had firewire ports up until around 2012. You might find somebody who will just give you one of these, I have a couple in my closet.

Even if you want to use a PC to actually edit, you could capture on the Mac and then copy the files to an external USB disk.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line