Capture tool for DVCAM? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old January 13th, 2020, 11:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Capture tool for DVCAM?

Does anyone know of a tool like WinDV that captures DVCAM? WinDV seems to work for the picture, but I can't seem to get the audio to work.
Adam Bauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2020, 12:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Capture tool for DVCAM?

Try this one. It was excellent in its day. ScenalyzerLive Page
What hardware are you using?
Old January 13th, 2020, 02:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

PC running Win 10, I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old January 13th, 2020, 08:06 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I think Catalyst Browse may do that for you. https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalystbrowse
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 07:53 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bauser View Post
Does anyone know of a tool like WinDV that captures DVCAM? WinDV seems to work for the picture, but I can't seem to get the audio to work.
I'm currently using WinDV to capture vanilla consumer DV. It's a bit clunky, but as DVCam is virtually the same stream as DV, the capture programme treats then both the same. DVCam locks the audio stream to the frame rate of the video but there aren't any other relevant differences.
Hope that helps.

Last edited by Steve Game; January 14th, 2020 at 02:57 PM.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:04 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McPherson View Post
Try this one. It was excellent in its day. ScenalyzerLive Page
What hardware are you using?
+1 for Scenalyzer. Just finished capturing 30 hours of DVCam for a client. Used the scene detection method and it worked like a charm. Years since I've used it and had forgotten just how good it was for DV/DVCam capture. Works well in WIN 10.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 01:28 AM   #7
Equal Opportunity Offender

Otherwise, HDVsplit might be what you are looking for. Ignore the 'beta' label and just download and use.

See: https://www.videohelp.com/software/HDVSplit

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2020, 04:48 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Otherwise, HDVsplit might be what you are looking for. Ignore the 'beta' label and just download and use.

See: https://www.videohelp.com/software/HDVSplit

Andrew
Isn't HDV split only for HDV, i.e. MPEG2 video. DV and DVCam is 'all-intra' video.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 09:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Just wanted to follow up and say that Scenalyzer was exactly what I needed for quickly backing up my old DVCAM without having to go through my NLE. Pretty sure I'm losing TC info, but not a big deal, since the odds of ever having to use this footage is so rare.

I do also have HDVSplit and it's great for HDV. I wish I had known about it years ago when I suffered through the agony of capturing HDV through Avid's capture tool . When I tried it for DV it wouldn't work, so I assume it can't do DVCAM either. That's what led me to WinDV originally.

(Btw, I do also have Catalyst, which is what I use now for all my disc based Sony media. I don't think it does tapes.)
Old January 16th, 2020, 11:33 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Yes tried Catalyst and although DV etc is in the supported formats there seems no way of using a tape capture. For many years I have used Vegas as this will capture everything off tape just fine with ability to even capture between timecode etc if you do not want the whole tape or it will do that too. I have a GV-H700/1 little deck that will play most of the formats and is connected to my PC and controlled by Vegas.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 04:55 PM   #11
Equal Opportunity Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Game View Post
Isn't HDV split only for HDV, i.e. MPEG2 video. DV and DVCam is 'all-intra' video.
Hi Steve,

I was thinking that HDVsplt would essentially be about grubbing data over firewire from tape deck source and to that effect would be codec agnostic. It's just calling for and saving data to a file.

That said, Adam has tried it and says it doesn't work, so I'll defer to that. It's been a very long time since I have messed with a tape that was only DV.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2020, 11:09 PM   #12
Trustee

Correct. HDV Split only works on HDV files not DV for the reasons mentioned.

The other good thing with Scenalyzer is that you can split files and rename segments while you are capturing if you like. You can also mark selections for deletion if required. You can also play back and view files with the software. When your capture is finished any files marked for deletion and re-naming for example will be deleted and re-named when you hit the OK button.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2020, 10:26 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi
I too am having capture problems. I had been using adobe premier 6 but when I updated my Mac to Catalina time was up as Catalina is 64 bit and Premier not. As far as software for video editing I moved to HotFilm and am very pleased. Actually I think it is much better than Premier and of course the price is right...free.That works fine for my Sony AX 100 but I have tapes from my old Sony PD150 which I want to digitize. HitFilm has no capture ability from external sources.
Can anyone suggest some CAPTURE software that will work on Mac and bring in my Pd150 files?

Thanks
Martin
Martin Archer-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2020, 08:06 PM   #14
Wrangler

Well, Final Cut Pro will definitely do it, and you can download a fully-functional 30-day free trial. So, as long as you can capture all your old tapes in a month, it's free. :-)

https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/trial/
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2020, 08:41 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Being on a Mac I seem to be limited. Yes Final cut would work but 30 days is not enough unless I go 24 hours. I think my wife would not be pleased, especially with spring and outside stuff coming. I have tried IMovie and it works, butI am not sure I am getting the quality. I saw a capture program, Lifeflix" but it turns out not yet available for 64 bit (Catalina).

anyone have any other thoughts?
Thanks
Martin
Martin Archer-Shee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line