Capture tool for DVCAM? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 29th, 2020, 04:16 PM   #16
Wrangler

Re: Capture tool for DVCAM?

Actually, Apple just extended the free trial to 90 days. So you would only need to work 8 hours a day now. :-)

https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/trial/

Why don't you think you're getting full quality with iMovie though? I thought DV was DV...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2020, 07:55 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Just noticed in my first post on this thread that I said I use HotFilm. My fingers do strange things on a keyboard. I meant to say HitFilm. Yes it is free and seems to be actively supported. There is a paid version but for me the free one has way more effects etc than I will ever use. Highly recommend having a look. https://fxhome.com

As to capture software... still looking. Per Boyd's suggestion will probably try the Final Cut trial which has now been expanded to 90 days. Hope the learning curve is not too steep to do the capture and export to something like mp4 for storage and later working in HitFilm ( which I somewhat understand). I have been using it with the files from my Sony AX 100.
Martin Archer-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2020, 05:24 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I agree with Boyd that Dv is Dv is Dv. However one can not just pick up a DV "file" and put it on the computer, as it has to go through some sort of transposition into a mp4 file or some such. It is that transition that concerns me and I wonder what algorithms are used from one software to another.

Yes I will probably try Final Cut and hopefully have an answer.

Thanks
Martin

PS Everyone stay safe and hunker down. Luckily I am beyond the time of having kids at home.... My daughter is pulling her hair out...
Martin Archer-Shee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2020, 06:18 AM   #19
Wrangler

It has been many years since I used iMovie. MANY years. :-) But back then, I think you could capture "DV Stream" files, which is the raw data from the tape. A quick search found this, I'm sure you can find more.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7968979
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line